This is My "Real" Blog: Quick Wednesday Update


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Quick Wednesday Update

School is still good.
Edison is busy as ever -- school / football / church / high school praise band (at school)

It seems as though my first born is taking after his first born mother. Hmmmmm?

Caroline has had three really good days at school. Today, in fact, she spent an hour and a half with her "inclusion" teacher -- and her notebook from that classroom came home with a "green light" on it. (Behavior stuff -- green is good; red is bad -- like a traffic light)

Tomorrow, and every Thursday hereafter is Pizza Day. We've already loaded her account at the school -- so that she can enjoy pizza every Thursday. Since she had a hamburger already on Monday -- the whole "lunch line" thing shouldn't be too foreign to her. I'm just so proud of how well she's done so far. Still not quite mastered the whole potty training thing, but I was reminded tonight, while comforting a friend, that God is in control. I'll write more about that in a few minutes. . . er, paragraphs.

Mark and I celebrated our 20-year "propose-aversary" as my friend called it on Facebook. 20 years ago tonight, we ate dinner out at an eclectic restaurant in Chicago - the Golden Shell. We went to dinner with my parents, and their best friends. After dinner, Mark and I decided to go for a walk around the block. Somewhere a block or so off of Western Avenue in Park Forest, IL, he got down on one knee, and asked me to marry him. I'll never forget a few things. . .and I may have blogged about this before. If so, please indulge me.

My two unforgettables?

1) He was wearing a "Members Only" jacket -- in AUGUST. It was hot. I didn't seem to notice.
2) When he got down on that one precious knee, he asked me if I would marry him -- and I paused -- probably because I was choking back a tear or two. In that pause, he managed to squeak out a "Please?"

And that?
Did me in.

Twenty years, and one new engagement ring later--we're still going strong. Going crazy, but going strong!

One last thought -- and it ties into potty training, actually. . . .

Last night, while driving home from my Bible Study, I had one of our local Christian Praise & Worship stations on. They had a minute with Chuck Swindoll -- and rather than change the channel to find music -- I listened to what he had to say. Here's what I took away from it.

Remember the old song, "He's Got the Whole World (in His Hands?)" Well, I'm certainly old enough to remember it. There are references to you and me -- in his hands. . . .tiny little baby, the wind and the rain. . . .and on it goes.

Chuck Swindoll said that sometimes, in the midst of our turmoil(s) we tend to forget that everything -- the whole world is in HIS hands. That "whole world" includes drug cartels, tensions in the Middle East, North Korea, disease, poverty, and politics. It's all in HIS hands.

I had to stop -- not the car, but my thoughts -- and really let that sink in.

So tonight, as I was talking to -- and attempting to comfort a friend whose child has been placed in a group home because of troubles with the law -- I shared with her this little tidbit from Chuck. And you know what she did? She looked up, with a tear or two in her eyes, and said -- "Yeah, it is in his hand. So is potty training."

Yep. Mull on that one for a second.

I am reminded that the more we try to comfort our fellow citizens -- and bring them a word of blessing, peace, or encouragement -- God somehow manages to pour out a blessing on us from time to time.

And all the while. . . . his hands are full.
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an awesome and timely message!

6:20 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

angie , i am still praying about the potty training... funny, God puts that on my heart on the oddest (for me) moments... and I am really enjoying hearing how school is going for both kids... high school-kindergarten... what a life!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

From an engagement story to potty training - with God over all, in all, through all.

Nice.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post, Angie. :)

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home