This is My "Real" Blog: Life in High Gear


Angie's Blog!

Monday, July 23, 2007

Life in High Gear

Wow! I'm exhausted, and it's just Monday!!

We are knee-deep in preschool camp at church. For the past couple of years, our church has opted not to do a traditional Vacation Bible School, but rather a program that is more geared toward specific interests for the kids. This is where I came up with Music Camp -- which we used to call "Fine Arts Camp." Then came Sports Camp, Science Camp, Preschool Camp, and this year, we have added "Art Camp" to our roster of children's activities.

Both Art Camp and Preschool Camp are taking place at the same time. Something about "peaceful co-existence" and cooperation, and all. They're doing great - the camps and the personnel leading these camps. I'm very proud that my little program has birthed these two camps. The big draw from the community for Preschool Camp is that we take kids 2 and older. Most VBS programs don't take kids until they're 4, and any 2-years olds that they take are just the helpers' kids.

Nope. Not us. . . we take 'em all. Of course, today, one of the 4-year olds threw up. You just have to chalk it up to Preschool Camp.

The theme for both camps is fishing. The Bible uses the metaphor of fishing, fishermen, and fish a number of times. There's the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 with two fish and five small loaves of bread. . . or is it two loaves of bread and five fish? Jesus was obviously not a low-carb kind of guy.

Today they learned about how the disciples were encouraged to cast their nets over the one side of the boat -- even though it seemed doomed to fail. Caroline came home with a cute little fish net -- which on one side is empty--but the other has fish inside it. It's on the refrigerator. When I can bear to take it down, I'll photograph it for you, and post it here.

There will be "fishy" snacks. . .Pepperidge Farm Goldfish. . .Swedish Fish (gummy). . .and many others.

All in all, it's a great week -- and lots of fun for everyone. Including me, I suppose. I'm the "Music Lady" who gets up first-thing, and tries to get 2-4 year olds to sing such classics as "Deep and Wide" and "If You're Happy and You Know It."

. . .that 2nd one works because you add the fourth verse. You know the one that goes:

"If you're happy and you know it, be a fish (glub, glub). . .if you're happy and you know it, then your gills will surely show it. . ." Come on, you haven't sung that verse before? Phillistines!

I was quite proud of Caroline. She's in the 3-year old class. I figure she can handle this age grouping. Of course, her class consists of 7 boys and her. I would have loved those odds in college. But, she's far too young to appreciate the law of percentages.

Edison's still enduring Football Practice each morning. According to him, today, he nearly threw up. Good times. Memories.

He should be participating in a "mini Mission trip" later this week. I think the junior high youth group is going to do local service projects, and they're probably going to camp out at the church instead of coming home each night. Sigh. My little boy is growing up.

Other than that, all is normal around here. Our local Down syndrome group DSAG (linked on the right) had its carnival on Saturday. Caroline wasn't real keen on the clowns. And when Clifford the Big Red Dog came to see her, I thought she was going to tear a hole in the side of Mark's neck.

But, they tried the cake walk, and she ate ice cream. We met a couple new families, and really had a good time with our friends. I can truly say that these people are becoming my friends. . .not just my acquaintances because we have kids in common. But, they celebrate my daughter. They offer advice, friendship, hugs (sometimes), and a common bond.

In my book, that's where friendship begins.

There's no other news to speak of. . . I'm sure I'll think of something when I hit the "publish post" button. Until then, I'll just sign off with a promise of more stuff in the coming days.

I know, I know, I haven't posted pictures of the pictures hanging in the house. But, we're not nearly done, and I kind of want to wait until I can say the job is complete. Is that too A/R . . . even for me?!
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Yummers! said...

Dear Angie is back!! I missed your posts. But, VBS is time-consuming. I always taught a class when the girls were attending. Also taught Sunday School for many years. It was fun... but took prep work. I laughed at Caroline and Clifford the Dog. He's so big for the little ones, and clowns are scary to so many children... even me!
Joni

9:52 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

LOL...I am not sure what I am laughing at most..you being A/R or are you happy and you know it glub glub! LOL! Thanks Angie...enjoy...sounds great!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

NO VBS???

I'm telling!!
(not sure who but I'll find someone!)

camps.... GREAT IDEA!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Don't forget that other favorite fishy snack - lutefisk!

And A/R is . . . umm, Accounts Receivable? After Rebate? Assault and Robbery? Annual Return? Army Regulations? Artist and Repertoire? Analysis and Repair? Analysis and Review?

I'm just going to have to stick with this thing until I get it exactly right. I get that way sometimes.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home