This is My "Real" Blog: Taters, Beans and a Sugar-Free Cake


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Taters, Beans and a Sugar-Free Cake

That's right. . . .it's a potluck at church. Can't you tell?

Tomorrow, we're having a special community outreach day at church. I'm not sure how much of the community is actually going to darken the doors, but I still made a huge mound of potato salad to feed the masses.

If I can, for just a moment, I am going to pat myself on my back. You see. . . I make kick-butt potato salad.

It's true. I do. I didn't learn it from my mother, however. I'm still waiting for her to teach me how to make pie crust. It's heaven in a pie plate, I'm telling you. But, the potato salad came from my friend Betsy - by way of her mom, Jean.

You just cook potatoes (the butter gold/yukon gold) until they start getting sorta mushy on the inside. The skin will crack. Now we're talking "new" potatoes - but with the light brown skin, not the red skin. Once they're done, cool them off, and peel them. I usually let the peeled potatoes sit in a big bowl until I'm ready to cut them up. It gives them a little time to cool, but they're still HOT.

After they're cut up, I mix in 4. . .5. . . 6. . . 8. . . however many hard-boiled eggs that I want to. Today, I made 5# of potatoes, so I made 5 eggs. (That's not a scientific formula. . .it's just what I did).

After the eggs go in, I sprinkle in 3 or 4 Tablespoons of dried, chopped onions. A couple dashes of black pepper. (There's salt in the water the potatoes boil in, by the way) Then, I throw in two BIG heaping spoonfuls of sweet relish, and 3-4 good (long) squirts of yellow mustard. Then you start adding Miracle Whip. Today, I added 3/4 of a jar of Miracle Whip. Again, it's not a scientific formula. . .you just start adding it until it mushes together.

Note: Do not. . .you may not. . .I will come and hunt you down if you do this. . .do NOT use regular mayonnaise. It has to be salad dressing. . .and in our house, it has to be Miracle Whip.

Stir the whole mess together, and don't worry if some of the potatoes feel more like mashed potatoes than chunks. That's the good part.

My friends. . .that is potato salad. And there's a HUGE bowl of it in my refrigerator.

I also made what I call "Calico Beans" which is basically baked beans with some "extras." What, you ask, are the "extras?"

Ground beef that's been cooked in bacon drippings
Chopped bacon
Onion
Brown Sugar
Extra kidney beans
Extra butter beans (if you have 'em)
Ketchup

I didn't take all the necessary steps tonight, however. I had some leftover sloppy joe meat in the freezer. My sloppy joes consist of meat, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, salt & pepper, worsteshire, and chopped onions. So, in went the sloppy joes - along with 1/2 pound of cooked, crumbled bacon, two large cans of Bush's baked beans, and a can of light red kidney beans. This one is going to be awesome in the morning.

And just now, I stepped away to take my sugar-free (sort of) cake out of the oven. This is a Weight Watchers recipe. If you are counting points, or watching calories, or doing anything to better yourself, this is a cake recipe you need to use.

Take one (1) white cake mix. Stir in one 12-0z can of diet soda. Bake in a 13 x 9 pan that's been sprayed with cooking spray. 350 degrees for 33 minutes.

After it cools, top with one container of Cool Whip FREE. It's in the aqua-labeled container. Store in refrigerator.

I believe, if you cut the cake in 12 pieces, each piece is 3 points. That's amazing.

Tonight, I made the Dreamsicle Cake. (using Sunkist Orange Soda) But, I have made, or have tasted these tasty combinations:

Chocolate Cake with Diet Root Beer
Chocolate Cake with Diet Cherry Coke
Spice Cake with Diet Ginger Ale
White Cake with Diet Strawberry Soda

I have heard through the grapevine, that Diet Mountain Dew doesn't really add that much flavor to ANY of the cakes. (eeeeew!) But, the Dreamsicle Cake is amazing. I think I'll label the cake "Sugar Free" or "Weight Watchers" tomorrow at the potluck - so I can guarantee that there'll be a piece for me and my dad. (hee hee)

So, that's it. My cooking lesson for the day. It capped off what has been a long, but somewhat productive day. Tomorrow I'll be tackling another round of zucchini bread. Dad's zucchini plants are not nearly done. There were seven of them on the dryer when we went to Mom & Dad's tonight. I took two. I can handle making some more bread tomorrow. I'll probably send it with Mark to work on Monday. I may even take some in with me. Won't that be a surprise!?

Happy Weekend, everyone!!
Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger Yummers! said...

I just ate lunch and you have me drooling. I love calico beans! And the cake recipe will be made at this house this afternoon. We make them as cupcakes... choc. cake mix and diet coke. My husband over-stirs them and they come out like brownies. But, I think we'll try one of your flavor combos.
Off to the kitchen,
Joni

2:45 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

my my... educational reading, all my chickies are home so cooking is in order and while i am quite fond of my potato salad i plan to try yours with some ribs otnight

10:17 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Okay I am hungry....and I love potato salad...yum-oh!

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home