This is My "Real" Blog: You Know You're Nearing Extinction When. . . .


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

You Know You're Nearing Extinction When. . . .

. . .your middle-schooler has to help you order at Starbucks. Yes, Laura, that's right.

I took Edison throught he drive-thru at our new Starbucks. Seymour, TN - three traffic lights. . .four pizza joints. . .three fried chicken places (not counting the grocery stores) and a Starbucks.

Edison is having his tonsils & adenoids removed tomorrow morning. As you read this, please say a little prayer for him, and for us. This is totally minor in comparison to other surgeries we've allowed to happen on our children in the past, but it's still surgery. And, he's still my son.

To help him "cope" with the tension, I took him to Starbucks. He ordered a "Grande Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino" which to me is a chocolate chip shake. (a very expensive chocolate chip shake) I opted for this.
This, my dear friends, is a "Tall Orange Creme Frappuccino" or, in my world, heaven through a straw. If you're a fan of dreamsicles, this is the drink for you. Bring your ATM card, or some sort of collateral. It's worth it.
No, it's not low fat.
No, it's not caffeinated.
No, there's nothing "chai" about it.
It was like the orange shakes they used to serve at McDonalds. It took me back to the ice cream truck that came through my neighborhood as a child.
That's right, for a mere $9 (I tipped the guy) I was able to make my child's day, and reminisce about 25-cent frozen confections.
Sheesh.
Photobucket

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will remember Edison in prayer. There is no 'minor surgery' when it comes to our children. It can look 'major' to a child.

Nancy Whelan

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will continue to pray for Edison and the family as you face surgery. I'm with Nancy, it is never easy with our kids...so a few grace prayers are nice I say.

I'm in love with Starbucks....so much so, I fork out the dollars much too often for a bit of heavenly goodness.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Prayers have started, and will continue.

And you shouldn't have gotten me going on Starbucks. There's one on the ground floor of the building I work in. I have resisted so far.

I think I'll have to get Edison to head up here and order for me. If I order an "Orange Dreamsicle double chocolate lattecino" I think they'll look at me strange. Take my money, sure, and hurry me out the door, but still with strange looks.

11:32 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

jenni had her tonsils and adenoids removed plus had eye tubes put in and I was going through the drive thru line at mcdonalds the whole time for recuperative treats... and then soon after the surgery (she was 8) she was in the shower and i went in to check on her, her first shower after the surgery and i saw what i thought was a long rope of snot coming out her nose... and i went to clean it......aaargh i still cringe, it was the tail end of the eye tube, and i was pulling it out... it didnt hurt her but i was screaming and she got scared so she was screaming...and i am standing fully clothed in the shower with her and we are both screaming... no i didnt kill her... she is still alive, her tear ducts function properly, she still trusts me...but she does remember this moment, and she reminds me often... sorry for my little trip down memory lane... nothing likethat will happen to you two... i am praying :)

12:32 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Tipping at the drive-thru? Really!??!! I think over here the workers would be accused of stealing or something, I don't know. But we certainly don't tip at fast food places.
I always try and judge the value of things against the price of a packet of cigarettes (I don't smoke). At the moment, I believe cigarettes cost about £4.50 for 20, which is about $9. So i think your coffee fun was a good deal!
(Prayers done)
xx

6:34 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

well lest kate make a generalization about the new world based on angie.... i dont tip inn drive thru either... but having had a brother who got thru university as wait staff and more than a few kidlets serving... I tip generously inside

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Edison that I am thinking about him and praying for him today as I battle my middle schoolers. I had a starbucks carmel macchiato delivered to me by the spanish teacher during my chem lecture yesterday. I think it may have been the only reason those kids survived the day.

And wow about freaking you out with the crazy shower story from a previous poster. Time and place...time and place....

10:39 AM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

Angie,
I pray that all goes smoothly with Edison's surgery today and that you feel calm (easy for me to say).

I think that was a neat treat for Edison yesterday... Starbucks! Must have made him feel so grown up. That would probably feel great on his sore throat as he goes home. No, I do not have stock in Starbucks. Actually I kind of burned out on it after my seige... but you have me thinking about it again. Hmmmmmmmm...

I just changed all of Boyd's bandages and he's on the couch for the day doing some 'serious lounging'. He gets his cast on tomorrow. So, we'll both be pampering our men for a while.
Blessings to Edison,
Joni

1:01 PM  
Blogger *Heather said...

You are too funny on the collateral! LOL! I feel the same way when we go to a coffee place since I'm not a coffee drinker and the menu just overwhelms me! But I may have to go try this as it sounds just divine! ;)

3:41 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

LOL...you are too funny Angie...and a great Mum!

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home