This is My "Real" Blog: Giving Credit Where It is Due


Angie's Blog!

Monday, November 19, 2007

Giving Credit Where It is Due

. . . ta dah!

The new blog header is the wonderful creation of my buddy Melany. I love it. . . especially the picture of my two kiddos. She even added a red maple leaf. . .did I mention?? She's from Canada! Thanks, girlie!

I also failed to give a fruitcake recipe to Beth. In a previous post, I promised one, and I failed to deliver. Shame on me. After I type this, I really am going to go sew some more. I have "sew" much to do. (yuk yuk)

Applesauce Fruitcake
(from the kitchen of Mary Aubrey. . .and Hazel Oliver)

2 c. sugar
1 c. butter (softened)
2 eggs
3 1/2 c. flour (divided)
1/2 t. salt
1 t. soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground cloves
2 c. applesauce
1 c. chopped fruit (candied cherries (red and green) & pineapple - no citron. Ick)
1 c. raisins
1 c. chopped nuts (pecans)

Cream butter & sugar until fluffly. Add eggs and beat well. (I add them 1 at a time) Sift flour and measure out 1/2 c. to use with the fruit & nuts. To remaining flour, add the other dry ingredients & sift again. Stir dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.

Heat applesauce to boiling and add to above mixture.

Combine the fruits & nuts in a separate bowl, and stir the reserved flour with them. Stir this into the batter and mix well.

Put this congolmeration into a greased & floured pan (see options below) and bake at 350 degrees for 75 minutes. On the lower shelf of the oven, place a pan of water.

Here are your options:

1) Large tube (angel food cake) pan
2) 2 small tube pans
3) 2 loaf pans*

*I tried making fruitcake last week in three (3) loaf pans. They were small, hard, and dry. Use two. Only two.

ALSO. . . .this is important. I take extra red & green cherries and halve them. Using them and pecan halves, I "decorate" the top of the cake(s). Do it. Get in touch with your "inner Martha" and amaze yourself!

Seriously, I despise traditional fruitcake. Bleeecky! But, this -- because it's basically an applesauce spice cake with the fruit stirred in -- it really doesn't bother me. If I have them on hand, I've used chopped dates and put 1/2 c. dates and 1/2 c. raisins in. You really can be creative. And, (ptooey, ptooey) if you like that citron stuff. . . .shudder. . . .you can stir some of that in, too.

I love the way this cake makes my house smell. Totally Christmas-y. Enjoy!!!!
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Citron - I love those little French cars. But in food? I'm not so sure.

12:44 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

citron... is as my kiddos say "eeeeewy gross." love the new blog duds... thanks for the recipe, more later

7:47 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and i loved that photo of the kids for a long time, they look like twins separated by years :) and Caroline looks so wise of life and Edison looks so protective

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful header!!!

4:09 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I love the new header! Gorgeous!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Christmas smells....hhhmmm...got a wiff downunder! Yey Melly....gorgeous new header!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home