This is My "Real" Blog: What Do We Do?


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, November 15, 2007

What Do We Do?

For once, the title is not a rhetorical question. Nope, this post is a blatant answer to Beth's question/challenge to post our family's traditions for Thanksgiving.

Over the past 8-10 years, it has become a tradition for Mark's family to join my family for Thanksgiving. In fact, it may be even more long-standing thatn 10 years. I'll check tomorrow, when his parents get here.

Regardless, it's all about family. Our "Thanksgiving" week begins with Edison's birthday (which is right now, since the clock struck midnight). Mark's mom and dad have been traveling to TN to celebrate Edison's birthday for a number of years. (They've traveled here for most of Caroline's birthdays, too)

But, as usual, I digress.

My mom and dad live about 5 miles from our house. (10-minute drive) They live on a spacious farm which is owned by my aunt & uncle. Somewhere, between their two homes, our Thanksgiving dinner takes place.

On Wednesday evening, prior to Thanksgiving, food prep is done. This usually involves making items that can be prepared ahead of time. I can make the sweet potatoes (sans the topping) and any gelatin-ish salads, as well as pumpkin and/or pecan pies.

Mark's mom has traditionally treated (spoiled) Mark and his brother (and the rest of us) to a variety of Christmas cookies that rival your average Baptist Church Women's social. Seriously. . . .snickerdoodles, chocolate chip cookies, shortbread, thumbprints, jelly nut wreaths, kolachys, pecan crescents. . . to name a few.

So, a plate of those cookies always makes it way to the dinner, too. I will probably make a cheeseball and vegetable tray to take ahead of time.

However, before we go for dinner, there's breakfast. Thanksgiving morning's breakfast is always a treat for me. I almost always make the traditional (for us) breakfast casserole and a half-order of hash brown casserole. Biscuits or scones round out the morning. . .along with my homemade fruitcake and pumpkin bread.

We usually watch the Macy's parade, and start watching football as soon as its on. Then, we eventually make our way over to Mom & Dad's house. . .and then meander over to Jeff & Mary's for dinner.

Dinner consists of:

Turkey
Stuffing - made OUTSIDE the bird
Cornbread stuffing (Dad and I usually insist)
Green Beans
Corn
Mashed potatoes & gravy
7-layer salad
Cranberries - that "whoosh" out of the can and get sliced
Cranberry salad/jello
Relish tray
Sweet Potatoes
Baked Pineapple

Sadly, I haven't gotten to dessert.

Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
The aforementioned cookie tray
Some other decadent dessert

It's insane. But, it's very tasty.

Some years, following dinner, we have watched a movie. Other years, we played games. The year I remember the most was 2003, when I was expecting Caroline. My aunt had a game - I don't remember the name - but it was all about family memories. By the time we finished the game, Mom, Aunt Mary, and my cousin, Liz, were in tears. Then, Lori (my sister) and I got involved. . . .we were crying from laughing so hard. Truly memorable.

I don't know what we'll do this year. I always say that I want to take more pictures. I hope I do, this year. I am also hopeful that Caroline will be able to understand more fully the idea of celebrating (clapping, and saying "yea!") our family, and the joy that surrounds us with each passing day.

. . . I'm also hoping for cool enough weather to wear that green sweater!

The day after? We're still up in the air over that one. I have great plans to get our Christmas tree decorated that day. (Yep, Steve, that's the part that involves you and your brother, nephew, and father) Mark may do a "Black Friday" run to pick up Edison's Christmas present during an exclusive 2-hour 20% off sale. If I told you what we were buying, and the cost of the gift, you'd understand why we're willing to drive out to the store.

. . . .the son sometimes reads the blog.

Well, it's 12:49 a.m. I am tired beyond words. I have another long day tomorrow - and Friday - and Saturday. But, it will be fun celebrating the kid that first made me a mom.

If I haven't told you, he's 13. . . today. And mighty, mighty proud of it. I'm taking him to Starbucks for a Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino tomorrow. That's the traditional gift for a 13-year old, right?

Happy Thursday!
Photobucket

9 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

happy happy birthday to edison and to you, you did all the work...and thanks for the extravagant answer... i love reading about stuff like that...

8:02 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and could that family memory game have been the UnGame?... we have always had such fun with that

8:03 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

fruitcake recipe please?

8:03 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

sorry my last comment.... try the Family Fun MAcys Parade bingo game... we love doing that..

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21816277/

In case you didn't see this already! :o)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

oh Happy Happy Birthday Edison! 13! Woohoo! How exciting. I hope your day is going so well and best wishes all the way from Australia! As for learning about your Thanksgiving Day...I loved it! We don't have Thanksgiving in the land of Oz....it was wonderful to read and learn. Happy days my friend.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

You? Up in the air?? You really are an angel!!

Yes, I'm up to treeing on Friday, assuming I'm awake and have digested some of that I ate on Thursday. If not, I'll supervise.

And when a game about memories ends up making memories on its own, you know you're on the right track.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

I shouldn't have read this post on an empty stomach...now I'm hungry. And our Thanksgiving is LONG gone! hee

Guess I'll have to head south for yours too.

A big Happy Birthday to E this weekend!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Do you have room for one more? I know you will have enough food. What is this baked pineapple? Sounds delish.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home