This is My "Real" Blog: Dreaming of April. . .in April!!


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dreaming of April. . .in April!!

Today, rather than try to come up with something clever, pithy, or thought-provoking, I thought I'd let the intense beauty of God's creation do the talking.

Okay, let's be honest. This is MY blog. I rarely, if ever, let pictures alone do the talking. But, I do want to share my utter bliss at Spring's arrival here on our little end of the cul-de-sac. It is amazing to have the house be so quiet, and feel the warmth of the sun pouring in the windows. . . and then to step outside and be hit by the intoxicating fragrance of flowers, all the while being serenaded by birds?

Girls, (and boys) this is about as good as it gets. I'll take you on a little virtual tour. Follow me.


This brilliant red azalea bush is just outside our garage/side door. I didn't even realize it had bloomed until I pulled back into the driveway this morning. That red JUMPS out at you -- but the view of it is hindered by the large Bradford Pear tree to the right of the driveway. (I'm trying to justify the fact that I hadn't noticed it until now)

There is some special maintenance that azalea bushes need (acid feed) so I'm going to get some, and treat these babies. They are too gorgeous to not maintain

This is a closeup of my dyanthis plant. I can call it "my" plant -- because a year ago, we began the process of buying this house that I love so much. However, there is a story behind these flowers, and I'm so excited to share it with you.

You see, we bought this house from a dear friend from church. She was, and is, one of the sweetest ladies to grace this earth, in my opinion -- and I'm biased. Years ago, when I was the church secretary, Thelma (previous homeowner) would fold and stuff the Sunday bulletins for me. I was working part-time then, but I also had a pre-schooler.

Wait! That's still true. My life is just one big revolving door, isn't it?! Sorry, slight digression there.

Anyway, Edison always came along with me when I would drop off, and/or pick up the bulletins from Thelma. He would come into the house, stopping for a moment to say "hi" to Ralph. . . the cement pelican that stood guard at the front walk. Ralph did not stay with the house when we moved in. Ralph now lives with Carole, one of Thelma's daughters. But, Edison always talked to Ralph as we came up the sidewalk.

One day, as we were dropping off, or picking up (simply cannot remember) Thelma asked me if I was interested in some plants. She was clearing out some dyanthis plants from her flower bed -- they creep -- and she was willing to share them with me.

I took them with me -- and planted some in front of our sidewalk at the "old" house. They have a fragrance that is literally intoxicating. I love the smell. . . . and whenever we would open our bedroom window -- which faced those plants -- you could smell them inside the house.

Well, here it is.....years later, and I'm blessed to enjoy that same fragrance from those same original plants!! I realize this may not mean much to some of you -- but to me -- it's just more evidence of God's provision and leading in my life.

Now, I'm not sure what these plants are. They may be a variation of hostas. There are hostas all along the back wall of the house. These leaves will quadruple in size. No, really, they will. . .and they're beautiful

And yes, I do need to get out and do some weeding in the various flower beds. So far, I haven't put anything in the ground, and have vowed not to do so until we've lived here a full year. I wanted to see what was here -- what was lying dormant -- and know where things need to be added.

The west wall of the house (shaded early in the day -- full sun later) may be the future home of some rose bushes. I love roses. I'm not great at growing them ... but I love them. (Hint, hint -- they make lovely birthday and Mother's Day presents. . . to those of you who are aware that those two events are forthcoming). But again, I digress. . .

This is one last shot. It's the azalea bush that's right outside my front door. You can see that the blooms are a brilliant white. I think, because of our weather lately, only the side that's shaded (facing the house) has bloomed. But, in the next day or so, there should be more blooms all over this bush.

There are also evidences of my favorite flower of all time growing in the shade of these azaleas. Lily of the Valley. Seriously. They smell so good you could eat them. But, please don't. Especially mine. I can't wait to watch them bloom, and then bring them inside for that delicious smell to invade my kitchen, bathroom, living room, uh. . . you get the picture.

One other plant that appears to be growing out back is a peony plant. I love peonies. We had them in our yard in the first house I remember -- growing up. I seem to recall my grandparents having them, too. Bright pink flowers, wet with dew, and ants crawling all over them. That fragrance. Oh my goodness. Another favorite.

Our neighbors have a lilac bush. I have sworn that I am going to cut some blossoms some night -- after everyone's asleep. Growing up we had a lilac bush outside the window in the room I shared with Lori. That's another one of those fragrances that just intoxicates me.

Do you realize how many times I've used the word intoxicate? I am grateful that every incidence of its use has to do with fragrances and not another form of the word. (Another lifetime. . . we won't go there today) But there is something about floral smells that almost makes our spirits drunk with bliss . . . unless you have allergies. . . .or can't smell. I truly am grateful today for every sense that God has given me. My brief walk through the yard this morning alerted and excited all of those senses. . . .even just the taste of newness in the air.

Could there be a better time of year? These words, from a song by Out of the Grey called Dreaming of April sum up this entire post. When you get done reading, you'll wonder, too, why I didn't just cut & paste them. . .?

Where is the face I long to see
Pictures of her in my mind
They say that she will soon return
I know she'll be here any day now
Just breezing into the room
Her sweet perfume can send my senses
Dreaming of April
Praying for her to arrive in all her finery
I'm dreaming of April
Maybe she'll linger this time
Turning to smile at me
These clouds of grey march in endless procession
I'm waking every day
Dreaming of April
I never know how blue the sky
Until the dark days came
These wistful words keep whispering
How much I used to take for granted
The beauty of her eyes
Till mine grew dim with winter, now
I'm Dreaming of April
Praying for her to arrive in all her finery
I'm dreaming of April
Maybe she'll linger this time
Turning to smile at me
When these days of grey march in endless procession
I'm waiting for a change
And dreaming of April
Posted by Picasa
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Blogger Heather J. said...

I always take comfort as spring rolls around, the beauty of the blooms is definately proof enough for me, that "he" is out there.

Each bloom reminds me of renewal, and to be thankful for the large and small joys in my life.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow your flowers are beautiful. Mine aren't bloomed yet or even close to blooming.
Lily of the Valley were my grandmothers favorite flower. I remember picking them from out in front of our church where she planted them when I was a child. I think all of us girls did.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

pretty flowers...i know NOTHING about growing them or identifying them but i do enjoy looking at them and smelling them (even though it sends me into sneezing fits!) i think your pictures have helped me identify one bush in our yard...a pink azalea, i believe. :-) i sure hope mine survives on its own cuz i am highly unlikely to buy any acid whatchamacallit for it, hehe.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I Love it. I'm in that same mode, spring is here, weather is perfect, the heat has not come near adn all is in bloom! Great post. Hope you can come by sometime. Thanks!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Yep, you did it. You managed to out-speak the photos! ;)

Beautiful post, beautiful pictures. I just wish Spring were this beautiful in my neck of the woods. I'll be sure to post pictures of my brown, sandy, salty grass and filthy streets. ::Sigh::

Happy Spring! :)
Huges,
Melly :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Duh. Yeah, that was me. Posting identically four times. Silly puter.

M :)

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping me get my garden fix...

Love spring blooms!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

*sigh* have I told you how much I love your blog?? Thanks for the tour - love flowers and those azaelas are beautiful.

*sigh*

Have a super weekend

10:29 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Mel, I thought Jason was back. Selling whatever it was that he was selling.

Angie, hold that thought - and those flowers. Seeing is believing.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home