This is My "Real" Blog: You Make my Heart Sing!


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

You Make my Heart Sing!

Okay, so here are the pics from our trip to the zoo, complete with my commentary. (You know that's what you came here for, right?) Oh well, read on at your own risk. . .


Our first interaction with wildlife occured with the rhinos. (No I'm not going to spell it out) We never really did get Caroline at a good enough angle to actually *see* them, but we'll show her the pictures, now that they're uploaded to the computer.


Here are the girls -- on their way to a fun day at the zoo. It was actually kind of chilly in the morning when we arrived. I was glad to have a sweater on. Later in the day, I wished that I had dressed in layers. But, at this point on our excursion all was right with the world. Looks that way, doesn't it??


Near the area where DSAG had its picnic is the "Barn Loft." Inside this charming (and fragrant) structure live some rats (in cages, of course), a mouse, a snake, some barn owls, and pictures of Appalachian farms. It's a fascinating little shack -- but like I said, it smelled. So, we didn't linger inside very long. In the picture, I believe I am pointing out RATS to my daughter. Doesn't every mother live for this moment in their daughter's life? (ick)




Outside again, where the air was fresh and clear -- we found a big turtle statue made of metal. I need to go back and find the pictures from a couple years ago. It was SO hot that day, I don't believe we got Caroline to sit on the turtle -- for fear of 3rd degree burns. Today, however, she was more than willing.


In yesterday's blog entry, I mentioned meeting a family with a baby boy named Lucas. Here you see Caroline getting to know Lucas up close and personal.


. . .and what's good for Caroline is even better for Mommy! He is such a precious little guy! It was such fun to snuggle with him, and plaster all sorts of kisses on his little face. What a treasure!

The zoo has a butterfly exhibit right now. Pretty cool. Lots of cool butterflies--but hundreds of butterflies + lots of kids + windy day + two doors being open at once = escaped butterflies. And, of course, they neglected to tell us to watch where we walked until someone had unknowingly trampled a monarch.



No, it wasn't me.

We went to see the camels. I didn't realize how close they could get to you -- so I thought Caroline might like to meet one up close.





Yeah. . .think again. She grabbed ahold of the back of my sweater and hung on for dear life.


What I didn't realize, though, was that "Joe" (my name for the Camel) could smell the juice boxes in my purse. That's right, as he walked along the edge of the fencing, while I was holding Caroline, he started CHEWING on my brand new purse that was hanging on Caroline's stroller.

Of course, my shrieking was overlooked because Mark was buying that crap (sorry, Mom) that they sell in vending machines to make the camels come find you -- and terrorize your daughters -- and eat your handbags.

Okay, this next picture is just one of many we have. As we walked up toward "Chimp Ridge" (could you make up a name like that?!?) we saw this brown bear. He was just laying around at first. We pointed him out to Caroline -- and she was extremely interested in him. At some point, he got in the tub of water you see in the picture. But then, just like, "Oh well, you people bore me so. . ." he laid his head down. Well, look and see. . . .



I literally could have stayed there for another hour and watched him. He was just that cute. I foresee a digital scrapbook page with this series of pictures. Too much fun!

These next three don't include any real wildlife -- well, except for the last one. But, it was a great family day -- and that's (hopefully) what you've tuned in to read and see. Humor me if it's not!

This girl has got these boys wrapped around her little finger -- and she knows it!



. . . and then there's Mom. . .trying to be cool. So, I challenged my son to hold a Madagascar (I think) Hissing Cockroach. He didn't. I did. I had to prove myself. I am cool. I am strong. I am NEVER doing that again!




Note: No pocketbooks or cockroaches were harmed during the writing of this blog entry. For further questions, please contact the owner of the blog. If you're an animal rights activist, and you have questions about names given for animals. . . get over it!
Photobucket

11 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Brave girl you are! Love the expression when you're looking at Archie (the cockroach's name).

1:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! No way in heaven or ...you know...would you get me to do thaaaaat1!!! You are much braver than I! But I love the face!!!!

Is lil Lucas the baby that won at Buddy Walk for youngest of the day?

2:15 AM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Miles and miles of smiles...what a wonderful day! Oh how I wish for sweater weather! :)

Melly :)

7:32 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

at the risk of sounding dumb... was that a real turtle? and the butterfly photo is amazing... and i remember one year Melinda wanted a camel party... i know I know but she is so reasonable normal todaiy all growed up.. anyway she wanted a camel party and our zoo had no camels, and there were no stuffed camels around... i ended up finding a cast metal camle about 2 inches all, she slept with it for about 6 months... and lookie here, you got to see a real one...

7:49 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Looked like a great day.
Nice pics & post!

D

8:31 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Yes -- to those wondering -- it was a statue of a turtle, not a real one. : )


And yes, Ann, that *was* the little baby that won for "youngest" participant at the 2007 Buddy Walk!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Jennilu said...

Looks like all of you had a great time!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Jennilu said...

Looks like all of you had a great time!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are one brave girl.
Looks like a fun filled day.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

Going to the zoo is always fun and I can see that a good time was had by all. One is never too old for the zoo. On some TV show they had to eat a hissing cockroach... alive. Yikes!!
Spring is here...tra-la-la!!
Joni

2:22 PM  
Blogger Heather J. said...

Too darn cute. What a day...the pictures are great.

Very nice disclaimer.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home