This is My "Real" Blog: The smells of summer. . .and the memories of Sophia


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The smells of summer. . .and the memories of Sophia

I'm a little melancholy tonight. I'm also a little tired. Baking does that to a person. I've been hit with zucchini. You know, the gift that keeps on giving?

You know that you work at a church in a rural area when stray tomatoes and zucchini start arriving in half-boxes, and no one will take credit for leaving the "gift" for you.

So, I'm dealing with zucchini the best I can. You know zucchini, right? . . . the plant that will survive the impending holocaust (along with cockroaches)?!

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying some at the grocery store the other night. I made zucchini pancakes with them. Where's the mistake? Read on. . .

I made the zucchini pancakes (bisquick, parmesan cheese, eggs, etc.) and you fry them up in the skillet. (SERIOUS Yummage) Anyway, I told my dad about them, and gave him a couple. When he asked where I got my zucchini, I told him "Kroger."

Mistake. They're growing zucchini in the garden.

So, the next morning, I was greeted at my office door by three (3) zucchinis hanging from a grocery bag on the handle. I brought them home immediately -- didn't want them to spoil. And there they sat. . . with the store-bought zucchini.

Our weekend was a zoo. I think I told you about that. If not? It was a zoo. So, my five zucchini sat on the kitchen counter through one of the most humid, hot weekends on record.

My zucchini?

Well, the store-bought ones were literally dissolving tonight, when I started the baking process. But, Dad's garden variety were hearty and healthy.

So, I grated up two and half of those bad boys--and made zucchini bread. Sophia's Zucchini Bread to be exact! I found it on allrecipes.com (my favorite source for online recipes). It is very, very good.

I opted to add 3/4 cup of chocolate chips to the first batch (two loaves of bread). The 2nd batch turned into 12 muffins and 1 loaf (non-chocolated!). The muffins that Mark and I have "taste-tested" thus far have been pretty good. So, I hold out high hopes for the chocolate bread.

Oh? You want the recipe. Okay.

Sophia's Zucchini Bread (ala Angie)

3 eggs
2 c. sugar
3 t. vanilla
1 c. oil

3 c. flour
3 t. cinnamon (I used 1 T)
1 t. salt
1 t. soda
1/4 t. baking powder

1 c. chopped nuts (Sophia uses walnuts; I use pecans)
3 c. grated zucchini
3/4 c. chocolate chips

Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Beat the eggs in a mixer bowl. When mixed up -- add in the sugar, oil, and vanilla.
Add in the flour mixture 1 cup at a time.
Stir in the zucchini and nuts (and the chocolate chips, if you dare!)

Pour into two greased loaf pans (Sophia doesn't grease her pans) and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.



I don't know about Sophia, but I'm loving the sweet smell of summer in my kitchen tonight!

And speaking of Sophia. . . .I read the news today that Estelle Getty had died. She was one of the "Golden Girls," whose character was named "Sophia Petrillo." To the chagrin of my husband, I love that show. I watch it (late at night) when he's away from home. I watch it on Lifetime TV in the mornings, when I'm here by myself.

I remember laughing at it with my parents during my high school & college years. I remember one of our dearest friends, Rex Jones, called them "The Dirty Girls" because of the innuendos. Rex died a number of years ago -- I think he would be absolutely mortified to see what passes for innuendo these days. . .but I digress.

I always loved Sophia's character. I loved how she carried that small straw purse everywhere she went. And, her monologues that always began like this, "Picture it. . Sicilily, 1935. . .a young peasant girl. . . " and then an outrageous story followed. Her sarcastic delivery. . . it was timeless. I still laugh to this day.

But on this day, I remember an actress that was funny. She was quirky. She had style.

Rest in peace, Sophia. I'll see you in syndication!
Photobucket

11 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Talk about bitter sweet my friend. The zucchini pancakes sound divine. But how sad about Estelle. I loved the Golden Girls.

1:53 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

me too ... love that golden girls... and zucchini pancakes, well i love them more... hey angie we need to talk expect a long email....

8:33 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Syndication . . . does that come before or after purgatory?

Glad you're cooking with the good, natural stuff. I'd much rather have neighborhood food (even if from another county) than Kroger-transported things grown somewhere, somehow, and picked some time ago.

Welcome back!

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zucchini... YUM!

Cook Zucchini with tomatoes and top with parmesean....

Stuff zucchini with a breadcrumb stuffing and top with cheese

Grill zucchini while basting it with Italian dressing...

I love summer!

*******

I've got bags full of cucumbers. eight to be exact. Want some?

9:56 AM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

the zucchini and chocolate combo has me puzzled. veggies and sweets?! sounds odd to me, but then i don't really eat zucchini unless it comes with summer squash at a restaurant, so i can't be a good judge of what goes well with it.

can't say i've ever watched golden girls...sorry one of them died though. i guess to me that'd be like if the kid who played steve urkel died or something...lol.

3:46 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I want cucumbers. :(

I have to say, your post cracked me up. It's SO true! Bags of whatever is in the garden just mysteriously appear...

8:13 PM  
Blogger *Heather said...

Hey there! It's been quite awhile since I've read blogs as I've been up in Ohio for 3 weeks and not keeping up. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. Just wanted to say hello before I do that and hope you are having a great summer. And I am so trying that bread recipe as I just got some zuc. from a friend and was looking for a good one. Thanks!
Hope you are doing well!
Heather :)

9:15 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

It would be nice to spread fresh harvest out a bit instead of...

"man I wish the tomatoes were ready, HOLY CRAP, I HAVE 80 POUNDS OF TOMATOES" all within a 3 day period

the recipe looks pretty good!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Zucchini and your recipe sounds great.
I am still checking blogs from time to time. I just have been really busy.
I sure hope we can connect.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

did you know that sophia is the greek word for "wisdom"? i just read that in my beth moore's "jesus the one and only" bible study i'm doing.

so glad you like zuccini :) my co worker has gotten hit with a bunch of those as well!

4:43 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i am already praying for her angie

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home