This is My "Real" Blog: You can never have too much. . . .


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, November 16, 2008

You can never have too much. . . .

Okay, it's another bullet-point blog entry. Here we go. . .


cherry pie
We had a Thanksgiving dinner at church today -- and although there was cherry pie available, I didn't manage to get any. In fact, I didn't manage to get any dessert period. I'm not bitter. In fact, here's another one

frozen cherries
Last month, my parents traveled to Michigan to see my sister and her family. While there, they traveled up to Traverse City, MI and purchased 40 lbs. of frozen pie cherries. These cherries currently live in my freezer. I'll be making one pie this week. . . just because of today. I gots to have me some cherry pie.

church offerings
We took four (4) offerings at church today. I know that seems excessive. And, to anyone visiting, that might have seemed excessive. But, here's the skinny: It was a "Thank" offering where everyone got a chance to give back to God because of how MUCH He has blessed us. Our church is making a concerted attempt to rid itself of a $750,000 debt (building fund) and we made a HUGE dent in that debt today. We gave/received over $150,000. Everyone was given a chance to participate -- even the preschoolers. And yes, Caroline looked absolutely scared to death as she came into a room of nearly 425 people--and we were all singing loudly. Yeah, she's not so much a fan of loud crowds.

music on a big Sunday
Those of you who know me know that I'm the music director at our church. This service was chock full of singing -- both by the choir, a couple soloists, the children, and our praise team. On a normal Sunday, we average 6-7 songs. Today? 12. And, because we were waiting for the money-counters to count money after each offering, we had to "vamp" a little. It was a little nerve-wracking at times, but it was awesome.

sleep on a Saturday night
Yeah. . . services like this tend to make a music director lose sleep. Last night was no exception. We turned out the light at 12:30 a.m., and I believe I fell asleep somewhere between 3:47 and 4:09 a.m. Needless to say, when the alarm went off at 6:35, I was in NO mood to get up. In fact, I did NOT get up. I stayed in bed until 7:30, got up and made sweet potatoes for the dinner, and got ready for church.

NASCAR
Well, for the next couple of months, yes, you can have too much. The season ended today. Jimmie Johnson clinched his third consecutive championship. It wasn't Jeff Burton's year. I still maintain that I'm a diehard fan of #31. . . .and I doubt I'll be changing my allegiance anytime soon. So, in the "off season" I'll keep an eye on NASCAR.com and see what the scoop will be when the Daytona 500 comes in February.

hand-me-down clothes
When Mom & Dad went up to Michigan, not only did they bring home frozen cherries...they brought Edison a bag of hand-me-down blue jeans, khakis, and awesome shirts for Edison.

time to make Christmas presents
Yeah. . . after having the flu this past week, it's been difficult getting a grip on the Christmas presents that need to be completed in the next couple of weeks. I'll get them done -- but I'm going to have to start spending some serious time working on them.

homemade hot cocoa and "real" popcorn
Growing up, Sunday nights were traditionally "fend for yourself" nights. I read about this on Facebook the other night, and I realized that this particular tradition has up until now, escaped our family. So tonight, following a somewhat large Thanksgiving meal at church, I made the executive decision that we would pop popcorn, and enjoy a cheeseball and crackers, and some leftover fresh pineapple for "supper" tonight. And yes, I used the word supper on purpose. I heated up some water and enjoyed some hot cocoa, and really had fun just sitting around the table with the whole family. Caroline loved the popcorn. . . or PAH-KERN as she calls it. I think she'd eat her weight in the white fluffy stuff, if we'd let her. When the rest of the family come for Thanksgiving in a couple weeks, I'm going to make some homemade caramel corn. Talk about YUM.

just happened's -- yeah, this is where she drives it home!
Yesterday, in Mark's pursuit of a new fridge, our friends Lee & Beth just happened to be at the Lowe's at the same time. And they just happened to have their big truck with them. And, because I'm a completist -- Lee just happened to know someone who owns and runs an appliance center that doesn't sponsor a NASCAR driver. After calling this guy, we learn that they just happened to have the same kind of fridge we were purchasing, and it just happened to be $300 less than the one at Lowe's. And of course, it just happened to be in stock, and they just happened to be able to bring to the house and install it yesterday afternoon.

And please don't think for a moment that the whole fridge dealio or the two bags of clothes for Edison just happened. I know in my heart that God was allowing our faith to be stretched . . . all the while he was planning to bless us in response to the thank offering.

As always, God just happened to be faithful. He will always be faithful. I should never doubt him. Little, inconsequential details are just that -- little and inconsequential. Even when I'm lying in my bed until 4 a.m., tossing and turning in anticipation of things that could go wrong, I need to lay there and thank Him ahead of time for a day I will never forget.

Now, do you really think that all just happened? I didn't think so.

P.S. If you really want to be blessed, visit Beth's site and read her beautiful poem. Then, when you're done, head over to Stephanie's site (that is "That Chick's" real name) and read this entry. You will be blessed.
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

You're too much!

I mean, we can never have too much of you. Or something.

Sounds like a great weekend.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Love the post.

Yes, Miss Caroline was scared to death. Her little body was just shaking, but she made it through even with some mommy time at the piano. We wish we could have been in service, but we did enjoy our preschoolers...all 12 of them.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post... it shows the belssings of abundance in our everyday lives. Things we tend to forget.

Congrats to your church for making a huge debt dent. That's awesome! If y'all do that quarterly you'll have it paid off in no time!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Heather J. said...

I'm with ya here.....except, MASCAR.
No, No,No...NASCAR is not a sport. I don't care what ESPN says. NOT.A.SPORT.

Totally agree with the cherry pie, though.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Heather J. said...

Darnit, I missed spelled NASCAR, the first time!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

Great post full of lots of interesting tidbits!! But now, I'll have cherry pie on my mind all week. Although... my dear husband is out in the kitchen baking sugar cookies to have with tea as we watch out evening movie. That will tide over my sweet tooth until Thanksgiving pie time.
Joni

9:36 PM  
Blogger Donna Cooper said...

Great post....
I constantly marvel at the "just happened" things too : )
HE IS FAITHFUL!
As far as your list....well...
I could completely do withOUT NASCAR (Jonathan don't read this...)
And Cherry Pie, well I'd rather have Apple, especially if it has streusel topping. YUM>

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were doing so, so well.....

Cherry Pie for Thanksgiving dinner. Verty nice. Wish I was there instead of watching the Bears get annihilated at a local establishment.

Then I read further down......pineapple and 'fend for yourself' for that Sunday evening meal that is...also dinner???

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post Angie. So is that where everyone is these days over at Facebook? Seems like it's been pretty quiet out there in blogland :0 Maybe I need to check it out.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I am exhausted just reading this post. Yikes!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

"40 lbs. of cherries ... I'll be making one pie"

I hope you got a new oven to go with that shiny new fridge!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Hilah said...

Great post...I just now read it. Reminding me of all the "just happeneds" that have been "happening" in my life :)

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home