This is My "Real" Blog: Spoke Too Soon. . . .


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Spoke Too Soon. . . .

Isn't that the way it always is? I mean well. . .but sometimes this mouth gets me into all sorts of trouble. . . or, at the very least, I wind up digesting my own verbiage.

Yeah. Both kids were home from school today.

Caroline actually made it into school. But, by 10:10 a.m., I was on the phone with the school nurse. This time it wasn't for digestive reasons, however. This time, it was to tell me that she had a slight, and very light rash on her waistline. After talking it over with Nurse Becky, we decided that some cortisone cream might help, and we'd go from there. I also asked her to call Mark in case there was more trouble -- I was just getting ready to attend my first of two back-to-back meetings that take place every Monday. Yeah, I really love Mondays.

She agreed. And, when I let him know to listen for his phone, Mark complied, as well.

In the meantime, I had what I thought was the start and mid-point of a migraine. I have only had one other headache like this in my life. And, it was triggered by a mutant bag of cinnamon potpourri that I had put in my office. (At that time, my office shared the bathroom with the church nursery, of all places.) Monday mornings were not the most pleasant times to be in the office -- so I thought some cinnamon potpourri would enhance my work space. Instead, it gave me the MOTHER of all migraines.

So today, acknowledging that there was NO cinnamon in sight, I couldn't figure out what the problem might be. I had eaten a small breakfast -- which included three major food groups (meat, carbs, and caffeine). And still, no relief.

I felt bad for my actions and reactions during this first meeting, because I felt like utter dog doo. During the lunch break, I ran (okay, I drove) to Walgreen's and bought both Excedrin Tension Headache and Excedrin Extra Strength. I didn't even wait to get back to the office to take two (2) of the tension pills. I washed them down with the Diet Mountain Dew that I purchased at Taco Bell next door.

. . .and yes, I know that too much caffeine can be the enemy, as well. This had nothing to do with caffeine. It was the tension headache from the pits of hell itself. That, and the fact that there was a message from Mark when I got back to the office. He was going to get Caroline from school -- the rash was spreading, and she had a fever. Yeah. Par.A.Dise.

The second meeting happened. I could say that part of it was a blur. Oh, and I could also mention that two of my co-workers were eating during the first moments of the meeting.

Let me stop here for a second. I have learned an odd truth about myself. Are you ready for this?

I get annoyed at other people eating when I'm not eating, too.

Take today, for instance. Now, I must admit that I felt like crap. (Sorry, Mom) I did. I was afraid that I would toss my cookies. . . or as I heard last week, that I might ". . . shout groceries" just by breathing the air around me. So, being annoyed at other people eating today kind of made sense to me.

But, I really don't like sitting at the kitchen table, or any other table, for that matter, when other people are eating. And I really, really, really get annoyed when people are chewing ice around me. Now, I personally LOVE to munch on ice. But, if someone else is doing it -- especially in a quiet room -- I nearly lose my ever-loving mind. And I don't think that I'm jealous that they're eating and I'm not. . .I just can't stand the sound of other people chewing. Okay. . . bizarre look into Angie's psyche has ended for this evening.

But, all that to say, the early moments of that 2nd meeting were tense ones for me. But, I made it through. And somehow, miraculously, by the end of the meeting, 92.5% of the headache was gone. I still had that eerie feeling -- especially around my eyes -- but for the most part, I could breathe and not flinch. (improvement)

On my way to meet Mark at the doctor's office (I called while scarfing half my lunch and made Caroline an appointment), I stopped in my boss's office and apologized for my demeanor (or lack thereof) during the meeting(s). He said that he understood, and was (being totally honest) so stressed out about some other stuff, that he really didn't notice (or care).

So, I felt better. Until we got to the doctor's office.

Appointment time: 2:45 p.m.
Taken to room: 2:55 p.m.
Seen by doctor: 4:00 p.m. (totally serious)
Strep test: 4:10 p.m.
Results: 4:20 p.m. (negative)
Out the door: 4:30 p.m.

No prescription. Just told us to give her benadryl and tylenol. He thinks it is some sort of viral reaction . . .and that a prescription wouldn't do any good. Mark, by now, doesn't feel well, and wants some medicine.

I decided then and there -- regardless of pantry inventory -- we were having homemade chicken noodle soup. So, after signing Caroline out of the doctor's office, I headed to Kroger, and Mark took her home.

I made soup -- really good soup, actually. We ate. We rested. Mark bought a new cable modem. (For my FB friends -- this will hopefully mean that I won't be so "flaky" while we're talking online anymore!)

Edison's in bed. School tomorrow? We'll see
Caroline's asleep. School tomorrow? Oh, no. Doctor's advice
Mark's in bed. Work tomorrow? We're going halfsies on the day. I've got the first shift -- so I'm gonna sign off here and wish everyone a wonderful Tuesday. It's the most productive day of the week, or so a colleague of mine once told me. So, enjoy it -- be productive.

I'll be here -- eventually!
Photobucket

9 Comments:

Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

wow, sounds like a real doozy of a monday! that whole chewing business...that's just nothing like anything i've heard before. i myself hate ice chewing altogether, but hey, we all have our oddities!

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you about noisy eaters... can't stand to hear people chew...(I wonder if I'm loud?)

So sorry about the headache. I get those really bad ones when all you want to do is lie down in a cold, dark room and hold your head (while wanting to die). And nothing seems to work GAH!

Was asleep... but now up early (1:28)... It's windy...gusts feel heavy enough that our concrete highrise might blow down the hill. LOL! Yikes!

Here's to a better tomorrow.
Hugs!

2:31 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oh boy! Poor Ms. Caroline and Mr. Edison. I sure hope the Aubrey children get better soon. James had a rash when we got home from PA last week. The doctors office didn't seem to worried about it either. Oh well! I guess it's that time of year.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

When it rains... it pours!! I'm so sorry your day is giving you headaches... literally. May tomorrow be better!

Honest... I can't stand the sound of people eating or chewing ice. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. That's why I eat popcorn at a movie because I can't stand the sound of others munching away. Who knows where that all came from.
Joni

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take Excedrin Migrain when I get what I call my nasty headache, works wonders 95% of the time. The other 5%, I usually end up having to take another dose even though they don't recommend that but that then usually kills it.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Oy. Makes me feel better for talking to your husband's butt (sorry, Mom).

10:46 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I hope today is better for you. I get migrains once in a while and I'm not very fond of them.
It's like nails on a chalk board for me with ice chewing. Drives me bonkers.

2:22 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

(((((((hugs)))))))))

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And...I still have the Precious Moments figurine of 2 angels sitting on a cloud that you gave me back in 1980 when you were working at Zondervan's!!!!!!! I still have the box, too, although it's in bad shape because I have kept photos in it! I wouldn't sell it anyway!

Love ya, Ang!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home