This is My "Real" Blog: The Smells. .. they are a-changin'


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Smells. .. they are a-changin'

The heavenly aromas of cookies have been replaced by the aromas of cooked bacon, sauteed onions & celery, and toasted nuts.

Yeah, I love this holiday!

This afternoon, I made wild rice for the Pioneer Woman's Corn & Wild Rice (to be completed tomorrow). I also prepared tomorrow's breakfast casserole, and it's in the fridge -- just chillin' out. The 7-Layer Salad is also in the fridge. And, lastly, the sauteed celery and onion, along with craisins, sausage, and cooked bacon, are hanging out until tomorrow, when they get "amalgamated" with old cornbread and biscuits -- and become cornbread dressing.

I am planning on making a loaf of cranberry bread this evening, as well as a batch of scones (in the morning) for breakfast. I bought pre-cut fruit at the grocery store, and there's juice in the fridge.

So, basically -- I'm set.

I was able to complete Caroline's curtain for her bedroom last night. Mark and I attempted to hang it while she was sleeping last night -- but gave up on that idea because it did not have a happy ending.

I also completed one of the BIG Christmas present/projects. I have one more to go -- and if it doesn't get finished, I may show it in its incomplete stage, and mail it to its recipient when I finish it.

As I type, I am happily munching on pizzelles. This is a new thing for us at Christmastime. Mark's mom bought herself a pizzelle iron, and let us be the guinea pigs for her trial run. They are delicious. The first batch is good -- kinda vanilla-ish. The 2nd batch includes anise extract -- and these are AMAZING!!!

So, we're good. We're all healthy. We're tired. . . but we're blessed. That's why we celebrate Thanksgiving -- to celebrate our blessings, and to rest, if only for a few precious minutes.

Well, I'm off to sew! When I get a chance, I'll post a few pictures. In the meantime, here's a recipe. It's an easy one.



Angie's 7-Layer Salad (In memory of my Aunt Judy)

1 head lettuce (rinsed, blotted dry & torn into pieces)
1/2 c. each -- chopped celery, red onion, green pepper
1 c. frozen peas, thawed & drained

2 T. sugar

1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. sour cream

2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. parmesan cheese

1 lb. bacon, crisp-fried, chopped (drain well)


Layer the ingredients in the order given:

Lettuce
Celery/Onion/Green Pepper
Peas

Sprinkle the sugar over the pea layer.

Mix together the sour cream & mayo before adding this layer. You can also mix together the cheeses, if you choose. Cover tightly and allow this to sit in the refrigerator overnight. When serving, allow guests to dip down THROUGH the salad, rather than tossing it.

Enjoy!!

My Aunt Judy used to make this salad each year at Thanksgiving. Every time I have this salad, I remember her, and the special person she was in my life. She instilled my love of crafting and sewing. I miss her -- especially during the holidays.

I don't know whether I'll be posting again before Thanksgiving or not. If I don't get the chance to do so, have a wonderful, tryptophan-induced day! Enjoy time celebrating with friends and/or family. And most of all, know that you are a blessing to me! I am thankful for you this Thanksgiving!
Photobucket

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar salad recipe. Love it. One of my all-time faves.

So now I gotta stop by for a plate of salad and a cookie?

LOL!

Big hugs and best wishes to you and your family.... So glad (and very thankful!) you're in my life!!!!

:-D)

10:02 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

hey I miss you, I was going to call you tonight but people just left the house (11pm), these Canadians sure liked our version of thanksgiving...anyhoo going to try to chat a bit with mary and fall into bed ...love you

11:06 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

2:41 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I think I'll celebrate with family who are friends. The best sort.

2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been tagged for a holiday meme...

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home