This is My "Real" Blog: Just About Wiggled Out


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Just About Wiggled Out

Note: I didn't say "wigged" out. . . but I could. For some reason, my delightful daughter is currently addicted to the Wiggles.


And, not just the Wiggles videos that we own (currently I think we own 9). No, she likes the "Lights, Camera, Action" episodes that are on the special features on some of these DVDs. The only problem is that these features are only 15 minutes long. So, by the time I get it going, and she's happy, they're done -- and she wants another one.

And, trust me, there's nothing like hearing your daughter say, "I would like to watch Lights Camera Action, Daddy!" over and over and over again. . . . actually there isn't anything like it. With her speech issues and developmental delays, a 9-word sentence -- in context -- is a blessing beyond words!!

I other news. . . .
She and Edison both went back to school on Friday. It was time. I blew off a meeting that I was supposed to attend on Friday morning. After getting everyone out the door, I went back to bed. I believe I slept off and on until about 12:30 that afternoon. There was a "Psych" marathon on USA, and I "watched" it as I slept.

It really is a strange sensation to fall asleep in the middle of one episode, and wake up in the middle of the next one. Same basic characters -- same snarky, fun dialogue -- just a totally different setting & story.

So, what's going on now. . . .
As I type, I am waiting for two (2) loaves of banana bread to come out of the oven. I also made a batch of Honey Whole Wheat bread today. I love this stuff--and I've made it so many times, I can make it without looking at the recipe. I also made homemade meat sauce for lasagna. I was going to have lasagna tonight, but I don't have enough parmesan cheese to make it for dinner tonight. So, after my "grocery store fairy" (Mark) gets back from WalMart, I'll make lasagna. And alas, we'll eat it for lunch tomorrow.

And that brings me to. . .
Speaking of WalMart, Mark, and groceries. . .I wanted to share a few thoughts on the current US economy. It's getting nearly more press than A-Rod or that mom with 14 kids in California (oy vey). And, although it definitely is headline worthy, I am getting a bit weary of all the bleak talk.

This is not, mind you, because I naively believe everything that the newscasters say. For the most part, I think they are full of hooey. Bottom line: Our economy is a mess. We have been wasteful. We have been selfish. We have made some dumb, dumb mistakes.

It's not all our fault -- it's not all the government's fault. But, mistakes have been made for the last 15 years or so (political comments purposely omitted) and we are now paying the price for those mistakes. So what are we doing about it?

Well, for one, we're not panicking.

As of yet, we haven't pulled Edison out of private school. We haven't dug up a garden out in the backyard (it's supposed to snow tonight, by the way!) We haven't sold all our worldly goods on Ebay. We haven't pulled our retirement out and traded it in for gold (there's not that much left!)

We are however:

*giving God his part of what He's given us
*buying brand-name ketchup (I just can't do generic)
*still investing part of our income(s) into retirement accounts
*pursuing paying off our consumer debt (as soon as possible)
*putting money back into our local economy (on occasion)
*contributing to other needs/organizations as we can

We are trying (today, actually) getting groceries at WalMart. We've heard from a couple friends that WM's prices are better than our two local grocery stores. So today, while Mark was out running errands, he took a list of things I need to WallyWorld. We'll see. One of the keys to consider is that WalMart is about 10 miles away, while our local grocery store is only 3 miles. So, I can't just go running out to WalMart when I need something -- these trips will have to be thought out. . .and I'm kinda impulsive.

Mark and I have tried eating out less this year. It's done a couple things for us:

1) given us more family time around the table
2) made us aware of how much is wasted on eating out

I'm also shocked at how much prices are inflated from homemade to store-bought, or restaurant food. I'm a halfway decent cook, so this is also good for me to "flex" my cooking muscles.

I am reminded of Jesus' teaching in Matthew. And, the Message translation says it so beautifully:

"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds."


I remember, when we first got married, I would literally freak out when I went to the grocery store. The first time I "stocked" the pantry and got stuff for the fridge (ketchup, mustard, etc.) it was $75!! Twenty years ago, that seemed like a lot of money. These days, it feels like a week's worth of groceries (minus diapers & meat, sadly!)

But when I'd freak out, I tried to remember that scripture -- that God was going to take care of me. . or us. I reminded myself that I was living in HIS care. And, if he cares for birds, and provides for them, he'd also provide for me.

So, as things look more and more "challenging" on the horizon, I'm going back to my "Word of the Year" for both 2008 and 2009 to get me through.



This means cherishing and pursuing the simpler things. . . homemade food, hand-crafted gifts, encouraging notes sent by mail, family game nights, and other simple pleasures that, until now, have been bypassed for ease and convenience.

I have to be honest and admit that on the one hand, I'm nervous about the future. On the other, I'm really curious to see how God will work through this situation. And, I'm encouraged to see how we (as a family, and as a country) will band together to survive what some are calling the worst depression we've ever seen. That's right, I said, "Encouraged."

Be blessed. . and if nothing else, keep wiggling!!
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are simply MADE of awesome, Angie. Just...yeah.
And I feel you about the Wiggles in a big, big way. Henry's addiction is Wiggles "Race to the Rainbow" (which he pronounces as "Wain...BOOOOW!!" and we watch it over and over and ov er and over and over. I honestly wonder if those men just want to put a gun in their mouths sometimes. I know they have to be wealthy beyond belief, but I cannot imagine doing that day after day.
Thank you for an awesome post!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Hilah said...

Wow...you are a brave woman to withstand the wiggles! They are a bit intense for me :)

Nice words on the economic situation.

10:24 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

I love the Wiggles, which i started loving because of the princess. I slink over to youtube every once in awhile (lacking my own DVD's) and watch some Wiggles and think of your girl... and you know about all the rest... there are things we miss out when we are affluent (or think we are affluent) a friend used to say we're all just renters anyway. thanks for a great post and great comment...

10:30 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and i forgot the most important comment... a psych marathon...a bed... baby that is the kind of "SIMPLIFYING" I could get into

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"fruit salad....yummy, yummy!"

We've limited eating out to one day/week (with the exception of regular $1.50 Costco hot dog lunches, can't beat that bargain!)

8:37 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I love this post Angie...we are plugging along over here and I'm so trying not to panic about things.

I just cut my grocery bill down by not buying meat...but of course to get that freezer full of meat I had to plunk a chunk of change down first :0....

and not buying any frozen dinner type foods (which the kids like to make when I am not here)...

{ha}.

I'm making them eat the leftovers...

{double ha},

that they say they don't like, that I always throw away,

and not going out to eat as much.

Wow, did I just type all that? Have a great Sunday.
Judy

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home