This is My "Real" Blog: Long Day


Angie's Blog!

Friday, May 01, 2009

Long Day

Hi everyone!

I'm going to keep this brief. . .I know. I have said that before. We'll see what happens!

This morning started out as a normal morning. Kids off to school. In-laws resting in the living room. I was contemplating whether I would go to the office in the morning or afternoon (light workload). When the phone rang.

It was my Mom. . . she and my dad were on the way to the hospital. He had been experiencing chest "pains" which he (and she) was attributing to indigestion. You see where this is going, don't you...? I thought so.

Mark and I joined them at the ER within the hour. And the waiting commenced. After a heart cath, they determined that a posterior artery on the lower backside of his heart was completely blocked. They also found a number of arteries around his heart with 30 - 40% blockages. Two stents were inserted -- large ones, according to the doctor.

He will be allright. He will be on medicine (Plavix) indefinitely. He will have to start eating healthier, exercise more, and watching his sugar & cholesterol. So. . . we're walking a new road with him.

He came through the heart cath & angioplasty just fine. He doesn't like (or rather his body doesn't) anesthesia. The nausea he was experiencing eventually subsided. Mark and I headed home around 5 p.m., where we joined the kids for dinner with my in-laws.

He should be headed home tomorrow morning. Our plans for Caroline's birthday party on Saturday has been moved to Sunday. Flexibility is the key, baby.

It's been an emotional day. I've cried a few tears -- not as many as I would have thought, actually. God's provided grace and mercy at those times when I've needed it most. He's held us all in His hands. . . and there was no place I would rather have spent my Friday. (His hands. . .not the hospital)

Many of you already know about this--and have been praying throughout the day. Thank you -- those words seem so inadequate. But, we are truly grateful for prayers being offered up all over the place today. And for those of you whoa re just finding out about this by reading. . . please take a moment and thank God for healing. We'd also appreciate prayers for Dad as he heals, adjusts, and recuperates.

I have a story to tell that involves my dad. I meant to type it earlier this week, and for some reason, I didn't get a chance to do so until now. I'm thinking it was a "God thing" that I didn't know about until now.

Here goes. We'll see if I can do this without crying:

Last Sunday, Dad preached at church. It had been a few months since he preached -- but this time was one of the best I have *ever* heard him preach. Seriously. It was based on 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray, and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and forgive their sins and heal their land." One of my favorite scriptures.

He seriously knocked this one out of the park. But it wasn't the sermon that stuck with me. . . it was an illustration he used that did me in.

He talked about a sermon he heard a few years back -- where the speaker said that he thought there would be nothing worse than standing before God on Judgment Day, and having God say: "So, what did you do with the book I wrote?"

As I thought about that illustration, I realized that (over two months ago) I received a copy of my friend Stephanie's recently-published book. She has been a really fun addition to my "virtual" friends. We've been together on no less than TWO occasions, and getting a copy of her book was very, very exciting for me.

But, I haven't read it yet. And I feel bad.

She knows I'm busy. In fact, she often tells me that I'm too busy. And, she's probably right. But still. I haven't read her book.

(Yes, she does read my blog -- and yes, she already knows)

By the way (shameless plug here) you really ought to get a copy and read it. Do what I say. . .not what I do.

Annnnnnnyway.....when Dad shared this story on Sunday, I couldn't help but think of Stephanie, and how bad I felt when she wrote on her blog about people not reading her book. I felt so bad, actually, I wrote her an email profusely apologizing for not having read it. Yes, I was vain enough to think that post was about me. . . (go ahead -- start humming the song!)

I realized that I should feel the same remorse for not reading the Bible as I felt for not reading Stephanie's book. And, although I cannot say I'm totally there. . . I have been very convicted this week.

So, there you go -- it's my little story about something my dad did that really encouraged me. He's pretty cool like that.

. . . and no, I'm not crying after writing this. It might be because "Scrubs" is on TV in the background. Call it a whim.

Stephanie -- for the love of God, I will read your book. I promise. I may have to read a few chapters of Deuteronomy before I can read yours without some guilt (hee hee). But, it's on the top of the "to read" pile.

Thanks, everyone -- your prayers for Dad and Mom are greatly appreciated.
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

i always miss good things when i have to skip church! DRATS! :-( i dream of a day when i can watch the service online...or at least get a dvd of it to watch later! sounds like the dream of a media wife, no?

again...glad your dad's doing ok. we've been praying today :-D

12:20 AM  
Blogger Mommy to those Special Ks said...

We will be praying for your dad! I'm glad he will be ok! Keep us posted on him!

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's news about your dad I don't want to hear. Tell him he is in my prayers, and your mom, too. And tell him that Gerald Zehner and James Head wondered why he wasn't at the High School Alumni Banquet last Saturday night.

Nancy Whelan

6:25 AM  
Blogger Traveling Bells said...

Praise God your Dad got all patched up; hopefully he is good for quite a few more sermons and/or lessons in life to share!

7:50 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

blessed are the flexible for they shall not be broken... very thankful for answered prayers and tell your dad for me there are ways around any evil new diet... i know from experience

7:56 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I knew I missed a good sermon last week when that's all Barry has been talking about.

We were glad to hear the news about your dad. Please know we continue to pray that he will have complete healing. I know that the adjustment to new diet, medicine, and a way of life will not be easy, but he is a strong man and will make it happen.

Please let us know if you need anything...we're only a mile away.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Big giant bear hugs to you and to your Dad, Angie. :)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Donna Cooper said...

I love your Dad... wisdom and kindness, gentleness and compassion are only a few of the words that come to mind when I think of him. He is just a wonderful example of a sweet Christian gentleman to me. I am so thankful that he is recovering and doing OK. We'll continue to remember him in prayer.

Much love,
Donna

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're that Dad is okay. I can testify that as a Daddy's girl, one of the hardest things I had to do in life was say goodbye to my dad (yes, I'm crying). I'm so glad the Lord had mercy and gave y'all another chance.

I, too have been struggling with my Bible reading (excuse me, not reading but *studying*). I need to be more gooder...

Hugs, my friend!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,

Great post, and, so many wonderful lessons and convictions for all of us in this! I was so happy/surprised to see him walking around, greeting and smiling everyone at church this morning. A testimony unto itself....now we know where you get your stamina from!!
And, yes, he def. hit his sermon out of the ball park. I actually wrote him a note the day after; which, if you know me ... you better have just walked on water!!!!
So, yet another lesson. When I read about him and saw him this morning, I thought, "whewww", glad I did the right thing and sent the note, as you never know when it just might be a "LAST TIME"! Just like reading our Bibles, if we get called up tomorrow, I sure want to be able to "pass" the test.
Angie, you are one incredibly strong lady, not sure how you keep up with so much! Love your Blog...
God Bless,
Diane Humphrey

9:47 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Wow. Just catching up on a little blog reading...so sorry to hear about your Dad!

It amazes me that down there you can walk into the doctor and have surgery practically five minutes later. Up here you would be put on a shelf and passed around for awhile before they consider doing anything for you!

Oh, and that was definitely NOT brief after all, but so worth reading!

Hugs and hugs and more hugs,
Love Melly :)

12:08 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I'll say a prayer for your dad tonight.

And don't worry about my book. Really. The Bible is WAY better. I know from experience.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home