This is My "Real" Blog: The Long Awaited Post


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Long Awaited Post

I hope it lives up to your expectations. It's nearly 1 a.m., and I should be in bed. But, this has been hanging over my head for a couple days. And, I don't like being a disappointment. . . so here goes:

WOW.

I could honestly stop right there, in writing about our whirlwind trip last weekend. Both for the fact that we put over 1,200 miles on the van. . . but also for the amazing reunion and celebrations that took place in those four, very short days.

On Thursday, we headed toward Louisville. We actually crossed the border into Indiana. Mark and I have found Candlewood Suites to be a great (bargain) hotel. They're set up primarily for people who travel for work -- each room includes a desk, stovetop, full-size refrigerator, and microwave. Seriously, they are very nice.

The kids enjoyed it, too. This hotel had a pool -- and although Edison enjoyed the water, it was far too cold for Caroline and Mark. (Especially since Caroline had been diagnosed with croup and a slight ear infection on Thursday morning)

On Friday morning, we took the kids to IHOP, and then headed for Chicago -- by way of Target, of course. The trip to Target was a highly profitable one -- we got Caroline one of those Color Wonder pads with markers. She didn't start using it until the trip home. But, oh my, did it make for smooth travel.

In fact - - I'll stop here and comment on what an amazing little traveler she is. I was certain that she was going to get bored and out of sorts on our trip. However, that was totally incorrect. She read books, sang to herself, played with her Leap Pad, and talked to her faithful companion, Murray the Dog. Seriously, I would take this child on a car ride to Disney, if I thought she was up for a trip to the Magic Kingdom. (A couple years. . . I promise!)

So, back to our trip. We made it through Indiana -- stopping in lovely Seymour, IN -- for gas. My dad had called and said that gas prices in Michigan were high, so when we found something under $2.50, we decided to go for it.

Since we were in Seymour, IN -- home of our dear friend, Brent Bradley, we called his cell phone to tell him that we were in his hometown. Brent, of course, was in an airport terminal waiting to board a flight to Buffalo, NY for a wedding. He called when he was able to actually talk. I think he liked the fact that we thought of him--if only at a rest stop.

They are doing some serious road construction on I-65 (both north- and south-bound). We sat in traffic for about 30 minutes (creeping ever-so-slowly). I started to get concerned that we wouldn't make our dinner that night with my High School friends. . . but traffic started to move, and we did just fine.

In an attempt to avoid more traffic delays due to construction, we opted to drive over to Aurelio's by going through my hometown of Crete, IL. That wasn't on the route for our GPS, and let me tell you, Sally Mae -- or whatever her name is -- was going crazy. But, we made it -- with an HOUR to spare. What does a family of four that's been in a van all day do when you arrive at your destination an hour early?

You drive around for a half hour -- and show your kids mindless and useless trivial places. Seriously--it was Glenwood, IL and Chicago Heights, IL. There's very little that is going to serve them in their later lives--but we took them anyway.

What can I say about dinner on Friday night???? Oh man. . . what an evening. Laughing, crying, hugging, reminiscing. . . and that was before the pizza arrived.

Edison and Caroline delighted everyone there--they were the only kids in attendance. And, I know I'm biased -- but Caroline was a special inspiration to everyone. At the end of the evening, even though the restaurant was crowded and still noisy, she sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for everyone.

I don't think they'll soon forget her singing for them. I hope they don't. I want them to always remember how much love she embodies in that little 30-lb body. I want them to see her joy. I want them to hear her voice. I want them to experience her love.

And, they did. It was awesome.

After dinner, talking, and reconnecting, we drove to Michigan. That's right. We are certifiably insane. We drove to Battle Creek MI to try to carve some more driving time into our trip. It was fine -- but being after 1 a.m. when we all got to bed--we were TIRED.

And it's there that I must leave you. It's 1:06 a.m., and I've got to play two services tomorrow morning. They're not going to be difficult services, but it will be a long morning, especially with very little sleep.

Tomorrow's post (I promise there will be one) will include pictures that have yet to be unloaded from the camera. And that post will be followed (maybe even on the same day) by some events that transpired since we've been home.

They include:
Caroline graduating from preschool
Caroline sneaking into Edison's room with her gift bag of Legos
Caroline dancing in front of the new full-length mirror in her room
Caroline sleeping in a basket

Yeah, since she's graduated from preschool, she has been going non-stop around the house. She's had a good week, but it's been a busy one. I'm not sure I'm ready for this summer -- but it's upon me. What can I do???

Have a great Sunday morning -- I'll try to update while watching NASCAR. Those are always exciting posts!
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I'm glad you updated. Your posts are always worth waiting for. Hope you got some rest. See you in a little while.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! sounded like an awesome time. Play well today...

Big hugs!

8:55 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

def worth it!!!! thank you and yes now i will start waiting for photos

2:12 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Sounds way cool. Did you bring me back a slice of 'za?

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home