This is My "Real" Blog: A Hilarious Way to Begin my Day


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Hilarious Way to Begin my Day

This morning, I woke up around 5:30 a.m. I don't know why. Maybe because I was having trouble breathing? (I'm totally guessing here -- but I'd say that's probably the reason) Nothing serious --just allergy stuff. Anyway, when Mark got up to get Caroline ready for school, I sat up, and began my morning. No, I did NOT get out of bed. No, I didn't even work on the laundry for my upcoming trip.

I turned on the TV. For those of you who remember the good old days with the USA Network, you'll appreciate the irony here: I watched the show "Wings" and loved it.

(For a long time, "Wings" played non-stop on USA. It was all it was known for!)

I happened upon a 2-parter, and was able to watch both parts. I remembered how much I loved this show, and how much I wish it was on during a time when I'm usually AWAKE. (6:30 a.m. is not typically "wakie wakie" time for me)

After watching the two episodes, we switched over to the news for a few minutes. CBS Morning News was doing a story on "Jon & Kate + 8" which, if I'm honest, breaks my heart. I feel for those children--their parents are putting them through a hellish childhood by forcing every event of their lives to be documented on cameras. This is not normal, people. These things should not be.

But, as you might have expected, I have digressed.

Because (sticking to my title/theme) there's nothing funny about the Gosselin situation. Nothing. In fact, I find it just barely entertaining and/or educational. I think the Learning Channel has created an environment -- from people having babies on TV, to people raising 18 children -- in which our definition of "reality" has been stretched beyond the bounds of what is reasonable.

Sorry. I just had to get that out of my system.

The children (Gosselin) are beautiful -- but in my opinion, their parents have pandered to the very lowest common denominator by "pimping them out" for fame and fortune and allowing every aspect of their lives to be documented on television.

I know a lot of people really enjoy watching the show. They think she is amazing. They think he is cute -- ick. I've only watched 4 or 5 episodes in the last week or so. And, although I watched it--and laughed at the antics, and marveled at her ability to maintain some sense of control in this situaiton--I knew the allegations of what was happening in their personal lives, and couldn't help but think that they brought some of this tragedy onto themselves by allowing every aspect of their lives to transpire for millions of people to watch.

It's just a sad, sad situation.

But, I was talking about my hilarious morning. . . .

After "Wings" was over, we watched some news, and then I headed to the kitchen for the "breakfast of champions" which everyone knows is cinnamon roll Pop Tarts and Diet Pepsi with Cherry.

I know. . . I kind of grossed myself out typing that.

While firing up the laptop, I did the "cable shuffle" where I scan every channel on our digital cable. I only made it to channel 45 (Comedy Central) because one of my favorite movies is on. "A Mighty Wind" is one of the "mockumentaries" from the actors that produced Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, and For Your Consideration.

I have to admit that "Guffman" is my all-time favorite. But, this one is hilarious. It's all about folk singers -- and the music is amazing.

So, as I've typed this blog entry, I have laughed on occasion at this hilarious movie. The movie will end at 10 a.m., and at that time, I'll take my shower, and get ready to go into the office for a bit.

We're leaving for Michigan tomorrow afternoon. I am going to spend my day getting the kids ready to go. I did four, maybe five loads of laundry yesterday -- so it shouldn't be too difficult. But, there's still alot that has to be done before we head out tomorrow.

I cannot believe that my nephew (who reads this blog, by the way) is graduating this weekend. (Hi, Daniel!) I'm very proud of him. I'm also very excited because he's heading this direction to go to college. He will enroll at Johnson Bible College in the fall, and will (hopefully) begin playing with the worship ministry at church. He's very, very talented--and I cannot wait to work with him.

The other highlight of our weekend is Friday evening's dinner. We are meeting up with some of my friends from high school for the greatest pizza on the planet. Aurelio's in Homewood. The Crete-Monee Class of 1982 has gotten reconnected on Facebook--and we're gonna hang out for a couple hours and get caught up on the last 25 (plus) years. One of my favorite people in the entire world is going to be there -- and I can't wait for him to meet my family. I promise to take pictures. Really, I will.

So, there you have it. Sorry I've been MIA. Things have been somewhat crazy, but what else is new?!?!? I'd say that I'll try to blog before we leave, but I fear that's not going to happen. Never fear -- we are taking the laptop on the trip. So, hopefully, updates will occur throughout the weekend. We'll see. . . .

Have a lovely Wednesday!!
Photobucket

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've watched John & Kate before... I agree with your summation.

Have fun with your folks from home.

YAY Daniel for graduating!

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE "A Mighty Wind" :) :) :) Soooo hilarious!

Have a safe and fun trip this weekend.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

i've never seen or heard of "a mighty wind" but i did love "spinal tap" so i maybe should add this to my list of movies i want to see.

whereabouts in michigan are you headed? my dad's whole family hails from the detroit area. yes, my maiden name was warren and i have family living in the warren, michigan, suburb of detroit...totally true story!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved wings....but I too am NOT getting up at 6:30AM to watch it!!!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

The whole idea of reality shows is unappealing. Not sure about this one, how real it is compared to the ones that have writers. Haven't seen it, and it's going to stay that way.

Have a great trip, and have an extra slice of pizza for me. I'll enjoy it vicariously.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Judy said...

Amen! I've seen Jon and Kate one time and it was one time too many. I totally feel sorry for those children.
Have a fun trip!

3:41 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i rad the entire post but i guess my commenting will be about jon and kate... sarah used to watch alot... when she was at out house especially b/c we got the channel and her house didnt... but then emily got very hooked. Katherine never liked the way kate spoke to jon, didnt feel it was a good witness (they are professing christians) for a wife to make fun of her husband all the time... i watched one or two times, but you know emily was becoming obssessed and was getting good stuff, about loving kids, about the sacrifices families (of any size ) made for each other... it made her feel good to be in an "almost big family" and now she is heartsick and dissillusioned... she is so sad and she feels cheated and i am just mad at those crazy people... they sa they are believers, did they not care about the witness? *shakes head* i think of that verse in james about not wanting to be teachers and they set themselves up as teachers...as people with advice to give

5:43 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

did i just sound like a crazy person? sorry it happens to me sometimes

5:43 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i loved wings soooooo much and really miss my usa station

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home