This is My "Real" Blog: Friday, the 13th. . . Sunday, the 15th


Angie's Blog!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday, the 13th. . . Sunday, the 15th

I never really get that superstitious about stuff.

I don't walk under ladders -- um, because that's just not safe.
I don't throw salt over my shoulders -- um, that's messy.
I don't spit into the wind -- um, because that's just dumb.

So, today doesn't freak me out at all. In fact, it's a good day. It's a day where I'm not going to work. (Some would call it my "day off") I'm going to clean my house.

. . .so maybe it's an unlucky day for dust bunnies and germs. I'm just saying. . . .

But on Sunday, the fifteenth, my baby turns fifteen. That's right...we're now starting to talk about drivers permits. And yes, I would recommend you start buying stock in Miss Clairol right now -- because vanity is about to get the best of me, and I'll start washing this gray right outta my hair after the first of the year.

Edison is turning 15.
15 years ago today, I was in church -- answering all sorts of questions about whether or not I thought I would *ever* have this baby. I was preparing for a natural delivery (no drugs or surgery). I had no clue. Seriously, I had no clue.

Edison was actually due on November 14 - and was only one day late. I had no idea how or when to take my maternity leave -- so my first day of maternity leave was Monday, November 14. Talk about a leap of faith. That would take me through the first week of January -- and then I headed back to work.

After that first day of leave passed with no baby, I started to get emotional. I know. . . it's a stretch for me. I started to think that I should have worked even longer -- to get every possible minute with Edison that I would need/want.

And yes, the next morning, I woke up -- in labor. Seventeen hours later, I was nearly 35 pounds lighter -- and over ten of those pounds were HIM.

But, since that day -- yes, I'm gonna say it -- my life has changed forever. I wasn't just a wife, an employee, daughter, or accompanist. I was a MOM.

And this year. . . for some reason. . . the monumental thought of having been a MOM for 15 years is hitting me in a new way. I'm grateful. . .and humble. And suddenly, I'm even more cautious about decisions and reactions that have effects that I may never see in my lifetime.

So, please join me in wishing Edison a very happy 15th birthday -- on Sunday. He's a great kid. He's becoming a phenomenal young man. I see amazing talents and leadership qualities developing in him, and I just pray that with the time Mark and I have left with him at home, we'll be able to help hone some of those abilities & skills -- while taming down his sarcasm. (I swear, I have NO idea where that comes from. . . .)

I'm also asking you to continue to pray for Beth. They are awaiting pathology reports. They are doing some pre-emptive research and consultation -- in case the answers continue to be answers that need follow-up treatment. But, we continue to believe that God can do "immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine. . . " (Ephesians 3:20)

I told some friends yesterday that when I went through my testing two years ago, Beth and I talked about "Plan B" when the first answer was inconclusive. Eventually, we wound up at "Plan C" as I had to undergo yet another surgery. One of my favorite posts she wrote was "Z for Zealous" in which she pledged to walk with me -- even if the plans lasted until we finished the alphabet.

That is a friend. That is a warrior.


That, my friends, is faith.
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Anonymous Julaine said...

I like Friday the 13th too! Sam was born on Friday the 13th -- 18 years ago!! How is it that our children get older and we really don't -- really. You're a wonderful mom and friend!! Have a great weekend!!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Edison is a great kid. He has hangups and quirks just like all the rest of us. And his maturing won't stop once he leaves the nest. Likewise, your influence won't stop even if he's a thousand miles away. Some messages stick with you and keep on being taught (I'm talking about you, Mom and Dad).

So now you and Mark are the Mom and Dad. You're not perfect, but you're nowhere near as bad as a certain adolescent occasionally paints you. Keep up the good work, and we'll keep up the prayers.

Steve

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Judy said...

Happy Birthday Edison!!!

I'm sorry to hear about Beth...My thoughts and prayers are with her.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Happy birthday Edison!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home