This is My "Real" Blog: Croup? Crap!


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Croup? Crap!

I know. . .I know. We don't allow the "c" word around our house. . .even if it is the most appropriate word for the situation. However, the "c" word (crap) has been replaced with another "c" word (CROUP). That's right. . . around midnight on Thursday night, Caroline woke up very suddenly coughing, gasping, and wheezing. The deep gasps she was attempting to make were aggravated by panic, fear, and a lack of oxygen. It was not a happy time.

After my initial panic and immediate exile to a steamy bathroom, I called my aunt Mary, who is an RN. She came over, and within seconds announced that we were going to the ER. I was already dressed, had shoes on, and had packed Caroline's diaper bag with the things I thought were necessary. There were, of course, items missing. But I did my best.

After driving the 18-mile journey to Children's Hospital - at 75 miles an hour, we made it. God was definitely with us. . . no policemen to be found. And, thankfully, no drivers in our way. They admitted us very shortly after we arrived. Caroline was diagnosed with croup. After the first breathing treatment, she did some better. But, within an hour, she had more "stridor" when she breathed. We needed another treatment. Their policy: 2 treatments - you stay overnight.

So, the first night at the hospital was spent waiting, being weighed, answering (the same 20) questions five times, and getting settled into room 229. Caroline eventually went to sleep. She was the fortunate one.

On Friday morning, she was doing some better, but when the staff pediatrician came in to check on her, Caroline coughed, and he knew that there was still some of the JUNK in her. So, we were slated for yet another night in Room 229.

We were released first thing Saturday morning. It was good to be home. I immediately fell into bed, and into a Benadryl-induced coma. It was nice sleep - but far too short. I went to work for an hour or so, and we ate carry-out food from Craven Wings. YUM.

Things are (sort of) normal again. Mark's mom and dad arrived on Friday afternoon. They are helping out, as they can, and we are trying to settle back into our normal existence. Of course, we're still working on the definition of "normal."

Final thoughts. . . we sang a song in church this morning that took on new significance to me - considering my lack of sleep over the weekend. It was written and performed by Jami Smith.

Come Unto Me
Come unto me, all you who are weary
Come unto me, all you who need rest
Take up my yoke, and learn all about me
And I will give you rest.
Why do you linger? Why do you wait?
You carry on without me
I've always been here, but still you hesitate
I have much in store for you, if only you would. . . . .come unto me.

Like I said, a thoroughly new perspective was gained by singing that song this morning. I hope you - wherever you are - can find rest. It's official, we are in the thick of the holiday season. . . and busy-ness is going to be a way of life for most of us. Steal a moment, whenever you can. Hey, that's pretty good advice. . . now if I'd just listen to myself!

Oh, and before I forget.....HUGE thanks to my buddy Melany, who updated the look of my blog (heck, she created it) for the fall! Girl, it's gorgeous. You are the bomb!
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Caroline bounces back to her bubbly self real soon. Best wishes Angie from Helen

11:25 PM  
Blogger Cooksalot said...

Glad Caroline is home now. Love the updated look on the blog. Melly does an awesome job doesn't she? Hugs to Caroline from me.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my the photo of caroline ast the top of the blog is gorgeous... glad all are home and double kudos to edison who must be a great big brother... being a big borther or a sister is a real act of faith... you pay a price of patience now and wait for the bonus of a friend later

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course i meant to type "Brother" above...and i see other typos... long weekend... and not enough sleep

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home