This is My "Real" Blog: Blue Thursday. . . ?


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Blue Thursday. . . ?

Mark and I attended a meeting tonight, after a long, busy day. I was feeling good--because I was ticking things off a "to-do" list that nearly made me cry when I wrote it all down. Seriously. 2 full pages.
Sometime this afternoon, a friend called to tell me that she would have to miss our meeting tonight because her cousin suddenly died yesterday. Her cousin was 25 years old. She leaves behind a 7-year old little girl. So sad.
Then, tonight, after my meeting, I received word on my answering machine that Ralph, a sweet man from our church, lost his battle with cancer this afternoon. He was courageous. He was strong. He was a firm believer. He loved NASCAR.
I learned the NASCAR part far too late. I mean, he used to be on a pit crew. I think that is so cool! I'm just sad to realize that I'll never get to ask him about those days.
While trying to piece together an annoucement for our church's prayer chain concerning Ralph, the phone rang. Another one of our dear church members. . .my friend Charles, who always teased me about anything he could think of. . .is not doing well at all. He is in critical condition. He may not make it through the night. He used to give me recipe books, and magazines, and articles about music. His wife is a gifted artist. She is a classy woman. She encourages me. She teaches me so much by her example. Tonight, she's at the bedside of her husband.
It's a Blue Thursday. Even if Blue Thursday doesn't really exist.
Then I realized my recent blog posts have been about days. . . which led me to think about this poem. I've read it many times. I've even considered using it for scrapbooking purposes, but haven't figured out how I'd use it. . . until today.
Monday's Child
Author Unknown

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for its living,
And a child that's born on the Sabbath day
Is blithe and bonny and good and gay.


I've got a Tuesday's Child.
I've got a Thursday's Child.

Edison is my Tuesday baby. He is full of grace. He is full of compassion. He is full of enthusiasm. He is just full.

Caroline is my Thursday girl.

I refuse to look at that and stereotypically categorize her because of a diagnosis of Down syndrome. Instead, I'm turning that glass to "half-full" mode, and saying that yes, she might have a tougher road than some others, but she'll get there.

She has already overcome hurdles that most children don't have to struggle to overcome. She walks. She talks. She tries to climb over the back of the sofa -- it's not up against a wall. She counts (skips the number 4) and she fills in the last word of each page of her favorite books.

She has far to go.......but by cracky*, she's gonna get there. And we'll throw a party. . . on a Thursday!

*To my more sensitive readers. . . .the phrase "by cracky" has been running through my head for the past couple of days. I never heard it before moving to Tennessee. When I use it I feel like a true southerner. Grits, anyone?
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Mellykat said...

Wow. Blue Thursday is such an appropriate title.

Carter is my Thursday child and Cooper is my Tuesday child...cool that we both have one of each!

Hope your list is shrinking just like Alice's number of days!

Melly :)

10:43 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Oh my gosh...on top of your big "to do" list is all that sad news! So sorry to hear all that. But like the Angie we know and love you ended with a high with the love for your Princess.....that makes me smile. She is ever so lucky that God made you her Mummy! Have a great weekend Angie1

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Angie, I'm sorry for all the sad news...hang in and I will be thinking about you.

I LOVE to hear your heart for both your children...they are so lucky to have you as their mama.

I have a Monday (Owen) and a Friday (by twenty-nine minutes - Drew)...interesting...

12:41 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

hmmm lets see i have two sundays, two nondays, 1 friday and i wednesday... that wednesday kid is anything but full of woe so far... but Jenni is one of my Mondays.... as far as haivng far to go, angie...all of our children have far to go don't they? it is a long road from original sin to redeemed and sanctified, but Jesus accomplished it for us in one easy step for us... he made the long road to calvary. And you know what else as long as i am using your blog to be philosophical... all of our children have handicaps... and mocst people live with the illusion of having "normal" children... but we have the moody one, the one who will be struggling with self-control all of their lives... or the one with so much intelligence he learns to lean on it instead of God and that is his struggle... or the ones who have addictive personalities and drugs and drink crouch at their door a lifetime... anyway, I know each one of my kids live with weaknesses that I recognize could cripple their lives and I pray about those daily... love you much

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home