This is My "Real" Blog: Okay, so you want a new song????


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Okay, so you want a new song????

Since I've haunted you with "Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes. . ." the last couple of days, it's time for a new song.

How about "Dancing in the Moonlight?"

All day long, I've been trying to remember which song I wanted to embed in your brains with a clever blog post. I couldn't remember, but I knew that it was being featured in a new commercial. I was just talking to Mark about it (three minutes ago) and as he turned on the TV, I could hear the familiar strains of the Rhodes keyboard playing this great, great song.

Here's what Wikipedia tells us about the song that is now bouncing around your skull . . . you're welcome, by the way:

"Dancing in the Moonlight" is the title song on the 1973 King Harvest album. The track was released as a single the same year, and it reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. They released other singles but these were never able to match the success of "Dancing in the Moonlight". The track used a Rhodes piano thoroughout. The song was written by Sherman Kelly in 1968, whose brother, Wells Kelly - King Harvest's drummer in the early 1970s - introduced the song to the band. It was originally recorded in 1970 by the American band, Boffalongo.
The song's first
line, "We get it on most every night" is often misheard as "We get it almost every night" This song was played as a wake up call for Daniel M. Tani, an astronaut on board the STS-120: Discovery mission headed for the International Space Station, on the early morning of Thursday 24 October 2007.
*Dancing in the Moonlight was recently licensed by Wal-Mart for their 2008 TV commercial season in the U.S.*
. . .and that's where I come in. That's the commercial that made me want to blog. I suppose I should make some sort of statement like. . ."this blog entry brought to you by Wal-Mart and their clever use of a classic 70s song" Or something like that.
In other news. . . it's snowing. I didn't need anything at the grocery store, so I avoided it like the plague. I'm sure there are people there, even as I type (humming a certain melody) purchasing an afore-blogged list of "necessary" items to get them through the 1-2 inches of snow that we could possibly get overnight. [key word: possibly]
I had two excellent rehearsals this evening. Our worship team rehearsal went well -- but it was done at a frenetic pace. We were trying to prepare for two (2) Sundays at once. One of the singers commented to me on the way to choir that it felt like a rehearsal on steroids. Yep, that was accurate. Then, choir practice was kind of a continuation of worship team practice. But, both went well. So, I'll sleep really well tonight--mainly from being exhausted.
I have some scrapbooking I want to accomplish tonight -- while The Office repeats are on TBS (10 p.m.). Then, I expect to get to bed at a respectable hour. [especially with the prospect of having one or more children at home tomorrow] Sigh.
Oh, and did I mention? Child #1 was grounded from TV for the rest of the week.
If you must know -- he spent the afternoon watching TV in his room (which is allright if his homework is complete). However, at 8:40 p.m., he came out -- asking Mark to get off the computer, because he had school work to do.
Oh, and did I mention that "Mama Choir Director on Steroids" came in the door about 8:45, as this discussion wound its way down?
Yeah....MCDOS busted Child #1, and immediately grounded him from TV for the rest of the week. [sucks to be him, I guess] I think [hope] he will start to grow up some, and start to think things through. Every time he gets close, something goofy like this happens, and we have to pull out the old, worn "life lesson" book and thwack him upside the head. He is a good kid. Please don't misunderstand. . .but I want him to become a good man. Ya know?
Well, I guess that's it. Tomorrow night is #6 in our Beth Moore study. I have a couple sessions of homework to do before tomorrow night. . . but that shouldn't be a problem.
And yes, you are right. . . every day, in every way, I'm scouting out and searching songs that will ring in your ears and make you smile when you find yourself humming them. Call it my mission in life!
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

except, I haven't known either of these songs...how about one for me? :o)

10:22 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

"He is a good kid. Please don't misunderstand. . .but I want him to become a good man. Ya know?"
i hear you, MCDOS... and please dont judge me on Melindas lack of song knowledge... I really did do my best... she knows "feeling groovy"

10:26 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

You're doing a good job from my perspective, although I have one piece of advice.

When you thwack him upside the head with that "life lesson" book, put a little English on it. He'll rebound off the wall and you can catch him on the other side. Just to be sure he's really catching on.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Praise band...steroids...yeah, that is a fitting comparison! HAHA!!!! And now that Dancing in the Moonlight is in my head, I can't remember the name of the last song we sang to save my life but I LOVE IT!!!! Totally jazzed to do that one in 2 weeks!!!!!!


I have not even uttered the s word in fear that it might not happen!!! I grew up with scads of it, and could take it or leave it at times, but seeing as how we haven't really seen any for a couple of years, me and my kiddos are antsy for the white stuff!!!!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Your mission in life! LOL! Angie you are such a dag! Only you could write an intriguing blog about a song from a commercial! LOL! As for DS NO.1....oh dear! So I have this to look forward to! Yikes!

12:39 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i found your exchange on Northern medicine, and added some commentary

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad my husband and I aren't the only parents with kids that do things like that.
We found out early on that we are definitely not our kids "friend", until they move out of the house.(lol)

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhh, you are quite the deliverer of songs, mydear.

Life book of lessons is good - good! Thank you so much MCDOS!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

1. You had me with the Rosemary song, but I can't place this one. You'll have to call me and sing a few bars of it.

2. SNOW!!!???!!!??? Wow. Stay safe. It'll probably melt in like five minutes but take it easy out there!

3. Oooooh grounded. Yikes. And when did you start taking steroids? LOL

4. Hope you're having a great week; talk to you soon!

Huges,

Melly :)

7:49 AM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Oh yeah...and MCDOS gave me a real good giggle!

M :)

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you've succeeded, because I now have "Dancing in the Moonlight" looping in my head;).

Funny you mentioned Beth Moore....I was just watching a sermon (someone else) yesterday on Lightforce, and noticed Beth had a podcast on there. Might go a view it now;).

8:34 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I am so glad that my son isn't the only one who needs a thwack once in a while. He gets in this mode where he will argue with me about doing homework. I finally sat him and asked 'how long have we been arguing?' 'bout 30 minutes' 'have I ever let you NOT do homework' 'No!' 'how long does homework take?' 'bout 30 minutes' 'so you could have been done by now and on to something fun?' 'yeah!' 'then why argue?' 'dunno' 'are you going to keep arguing or get it done' 'get it done' 'okay let's go'

After this conversation, all I need to do is ask him if he wants to waste is 'fun' time arguing or get it done. No more arguing! LOL! Thick headed, stubborn boy!

Blessings,

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home