This is My "Real" Blog: I'm a "Demanding" Woman, What Can I Say?


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, August 07, 2008

I'm a "Demanding" Woman, What Can I Say?

When we moved to our house last year, we transferred our cable over from the old house. I will gladly admit that part of the motivation for us to have cable was the fact that NASCAR races aren't always on network television.

In fact, there was, I believe, a 7-week stretch last year, when they were on cable stations. I just couldn't accept that as my reality. So, my wonderful husband indulged me and I only miss races when I choose to.

I am choosing to miss a race this weekend because we have friends coming to town, and after they head to their vacation spot in Pigeon Forge, we will spend time with my sister and her family. There are times for which I am glad to miss a race. Friends and family always win out.

But, lest you think I am a total saint, you need to remember that this week, they are racing in Watkins Glen (NY). It's a road-course race. (I don't like road courses.) So, please remove the hypothetical halo that you've placed over my graying-head. It would fall off, otherwise.

We have also enjoyed some of the spoils of cable television in the form of Noggin (Preschool shows on TV 24 hours!!) Can you say "watch this when your kid is up in the middle of the night?" I thought you could. And then there's Cable TV on Demand. This was truly a gift of the gods.

If I wanted to -- right now -- I could walk over, take the remote out of Mark's hand, and watch the Finale of the Next Food Network Star (which I missed when it aired.) I know who won, so it's kind of a moot point, but still . . .I can do it if I want to.

Yesterday, I got demanding about my demands. That particular feature wasn't working. I called the cable company. They sent out a repairman this morning. THIS MORNING. By 10 a.m., we were watching Max & Ruby on Demand. They weren't on the regular schedule. . .but we could "call them up" and watch them when we wanted to.

A little power is a dangerous thing. But, I'm glad I've got it. (bwaa haa haa haa!)

Since starting this blog, I have always been forthright with my readers. I haven't held back. (I rarely keep secrets -- to my son's chagrin) So, it seems like a natural time and place to share what's going on in my life right now.

Facebook is amazing. 'Nuff said.

I have connected and re-connected with friends from GRADE SCHOOL through Facebook. If we happen to be online at the same time, we "chat" live. I have reminisced, laughed, cried, and taken several walks down memory lane since joining Facebook. I really love it. (And no, we are NOT allowing Edison to have an account. . . calm down!)

But last night, I chatted with a friend from college. Pam and I haven't seen each other in over 22 years. We were able to talk, laugh, share, and remember some great (and not-so-great) times just by being online at the same time. (I know -- IM is nothing new, indulge me.)

But, as we talked, our conversation crept over into our health. Pam is one of my taller friends. Yes. . . I know everyone is taller than me. Pam is seriously taller than me. As we talked about being in our 40s, we talked about body image, weight issues, and the struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle while chasing around two kids -- and raising a family.

As we shared, we both agreed that going it alone is difficult, if not impossible. So, we agreed to be accountable to each other -- and we're going to email on Mondays to talk about our weeks. Just knowing that I would be writing to her (and confessing) gave me the gumption to eat better today.

I have been struggling with getting back on track. And, it seems every time I decide that I want to start eating healthy again, someone at church stops me and asks me how much weight I've lost. And here's where I get frustrated with myself -- even though I KNOW I have been mis-behaving, I allow their "compliments" to give me license to continue in some very bad habits I've re-established.

So today? Well, today was different.

I actually ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I know for some, this seems elementary. But, I've fallen into a habit of eating breakfast burritos at various fast-food places. (I'm especially fond of the McDonald's McSkillet Burrito) I have no idea how many points one of those bad boys has. . .but I'm done eating them for a LONG, LONG time.

Lunch today was out with the kids -- our last hurrah before school starts. Wendy's chili and a baked potato made a very nice lunch. Another bowl of (high-fiber/low points) cereal was my afternoon snack, and dinner was a big bowl of grapes and a bagel with low-fat swiss cheese spread.

Could I have eaten more veggies? Sure. I'll eat more of them tomorrow.
Could I have eaten less bread? Sure. I'll try to do that tomorrow as well.
Could I have drunk more water? Yep. Again -- I get to hit "restart" tomorrow.

So. There it is. I'm laying it out there. I'm back on the bandwagon. It's time. It's been more than time for a long time. And now, I've got people who are going to demand (see what I did there?) that I remain accountable with them.

Happy Weekend, everyone! With all of the goings on we've got around here, I very likely won't blog again until Monday. We'll see.

(I miss you, Beth!)
Photobucket

7 Comments:

Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

ah, cereal for breakfast...the staple of my life. i'm so accustomed to it that any breakfast from a fast food joint just kinda makes me cringe. i guess more people might wish they could say the same!!!

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a wonderful weekend!

4:47 AM  
Blogger Jennilu said...

Well, I have many comments so here they go: 1. I don't have On Demand but wish I did. Of course, Barry thinks I watch too much television as it is. I can't imagine what I would be like if I had that nifty little tool. 2. I LOVE Facebook and Myspace; I have accounts on both. I guess I will have to add you as a friend. (will you be my friend? :0) 3. I decided to make myself accoutable on the whole weight loss thing a few weeks back. I even created a Blog to do so. I thought it would be this great tool, kinda like a food diary for the whole world to see, if they choose (I don't know why they would want to). It all seemed like such a good idea, but for some reason it hasn't given me the motivation I was hoping for. Oh yea, that might be because I never announced to anyone that I had created the darned thing. Well, my friend, since you are making all these demands today, here is the link to my dirty little secret
http://bandgandt-ohmy.blogspot.com
Bookmark me and I promise to walk the road with you.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, sweet on demand, if only Directv had you...because my husband just informed me he unplugged the DVR for our vacation...he. unplugged. the. DVR. That means I have MISSED the finale of SYTYCD...oh Angie, you and your on demand, how you mock me :-)

I'm with you with the weight loss. I too must get back on the wagon when we get home...soon...eight more hours soon.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Bravo! Takes guts to do that (although less of them all the time) (ducking).

I am serious, though. Congratulations.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

You know you've got me behind you on this one. I am struggling with getting on the bandwagon even while paying for weight watchers. I decided yesterday to get back on the wagon when I tried on my old clothes (which I feel like I'll never get back into). Accountability is my big thing that's why I went back to weight watchers...it's just taking me time to get my head wrapped around it. Have a great weekend.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not tried Facebook yet but my kids are on it.
You have a wonderful weekend. I hope to paint my bathroom today...but we'll see.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home