This is My "Real" Blog: Breaking All the Rules


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Breaking All the Rules

Mark is flying home today -- in fact, he just called from Detroit. He's halfway home. I'm glad.

However. . . .I have seen the sunrise for two mornings in a row. This is rare for me. I normally get up at, or before 7 a.m. on Sunday mornings. But weekday mornings? Not so much.

Caroline's bus comes at 7:08 a.m. each morning (except for Wednesdays) and Mark is very sweet, and lets me sleep (on weekday mornings) until 7:45 or so. By that time, Caroline is out the door, and Edison has been taken to school (also by Mark). What I *intend* to do is get up while Mark is taking Edison to school, and be done with my shower by the time Mark gets back home -- so he can have the bathroom. Sometimes it happens. Other times? Yeah, not really.

Both Mark and I start our workdays at 9 a.m. Both our work schedules are extremely flexible. It's not unusual for Mark to get into work at 9:17, and the same would be true of me. So, our system works, for the most part.

But, with Mark gone, I have had to "do it all" with a smile on my face. And for the most part, that's not been a problem. Getting Caroline up and out the door this morning was fine. She's got such a sweet spirit. When I woke her up at 6:42 this morning, she sat up -- smiled, and talked about getting on the bus. After her PJs were thrown in the hamper, she immediately laid back down so I could take her diaper off and put on a Pull-up. She knows the drill. She's all over it.

Edison got up, ate breakfast, and was ready to go by 7:30 a.m. We made it to school with no major hangups, and by 7:42, I was back home. I watched the sun burn through some misty fog as I drove back home this morning, and kinda remembered how I like early mornings. . . .of course, I always forget how much I like early mornings when I'm staying up late at night. My affection for morning and evenings would be best summed up in the classic 70s ballad, "Torn Between Two Lovers. . . feeling like a fool, loving both of you is breaking all the rules. . . "

As much as I love staying up late at night -- especially when syndicated TV shows are on and I'm sewing, scrapbooking, or just laying around -- I also love sleeping. I love going to sleep. I love staying asleep. I love my bed. I love when it's just chilly enough outside to snuggle under my comforter. Yeah, I love sleeping.

But then I thoroughly enjoy the quiet, mystical peace of the morning. The earth is waking up and that dew-y scent in the air is truly invigorating.

So, I'm torn.

But, I'm grateful that tomorrow morning, my knight in shining armor (a gray t-shirt and PJ pants) will be home. And, knowing him, he'll let me sleep in. I will snuggle down in those blankets and squeeze out another 27 minutes of sleep, even though I'll know I need to get up. And I will forget the bliss that is found in the serenity of the moist morning air.











. . . until he goes out of town again.


Ooh, and another plus? I won't have to be the one killling Daddy Long Legs after tonight. The one that "came at me" last night was as big as a chihuahua. Yes, it was. I'm ready for someone else to attack and kill them.

Photobucket

9 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

ha, you remind me of katherine who could easily write 70 blog posts rhapsodizing on sleep... i am glad mark is coming home, and thrilled there is a post for me to read, just like listening to katherine in stereo

8:23 AM  
Blogger Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I am so with you on this one! I wish I could be one of those people (like my brother) who only needs 5 hours of sleep.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

woman, i am totally with you on both spider killing AND sleeping. i get up at 8 on thursdays to get javen and his bags ready for MDO, and boy it sure does make me appreciate staying in my toasty warm bed all the more!! what would we do without thoughtful hubbies who let us lay in bed just a little bit longer?

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This morning was the perfect bed morning. Hubby's usually off to work by 6:30-7:00 and he left at 8:00...

We're here in the campground with the windows open and fans blowing...perfect bed temp, perfect pillow placement, perfect blankets... just a perfect morning.

Flying through Detroit... UGH! Used to fly there alot. Seemed like the sun never shined at that airport. It was either raining or overcast...

Safe travels for hubby... Have a blessed reunion.

Hugs!

9:38 AM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I think I could rival you on the love of sleep.

Hey, did you get my email? About the Buddy Walk?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Hilah said...

totally with you on the sleep thing, though i'm often awake before the sun out of necessity. but when i don't have to, no matter how hard i try, i usually can't get myself out of bed before 8:00 ;-)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Okay...so since you don't like the mornings, I don't guess you'd want to watch James one day next week while daycare is closed.

I'm glad everything went well while Mark was away. I'm also glad he will be home with you all tonight.

See you soon.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are too much alike :) I could have written this post. I'm glad Marks on his way home.

3:30 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

you are falling behind on your commenting... no blogging no commenting... i misssss Angie

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home