This is My "Real" Blog: I Couldn't Make This Stuff Up if I Tried.....

Angie's Blog!

Friday, February 27, 2009

I Couldn't Make This Stuff Up if I Tried.....

Yesterday afternoon was something out of a bizarre novel. Some of you have already heard about this. . . bear with me. I'm still processing. If you read yesterday, you know that I had to go to Caroline's school and pick her up from the "faux fever" she was running. I spoke with the school officials (numerous times) and we have a new "action plan" in case this happens again.

What's the plan?

1) If Caroline appears to be "out of sorts" they will check her temp (standard procedure)
2) If her temp is elevated, they will keep an eye on her (low grade temp, of course)
3) After 10 minutes, they will check her temp again.

If her temp appears to be going up, or if other symptoms (vomiting, etc.) arise (so to speak, sorry!) they will have me come get her. But, if she "stables out" and seems to be allright, they'll call -- but I won't necessarily have to come and get her.

I reminded them that children with Ds tend to be little "heaters" and can run random fevers without even trying. I also told them that I would send a short-sleeve shirt in her backpack in case she seems to be overheating from her long-sleeve shirt.

They were shocked at the idea that she came home with a lower-than-normal temperature. And, I may have ticked off the school secretary that actually took her temperature. But, I assured them that I wasn't mad -- I was just confused and frustrated at Caroline's apparent "miracle recovery" as soon as we got home.

So, we'll see how today goes. But that's not the weird part of yesterday. Read on, please:

I put Caroline down for a "nap" around 3 p.m. yesterday. She, of course, did not sleep. (big surprise there) While she was in her room, I watched Dr. Phil. I don't ever watch Dr. Phil, but he had the mom of those octuplets on with him yesterday. (Part 2 of a 2-part series)

That girl has some serious issues. My buddy Stephanie (That Chick) wrote a very good post about her. Please read it, if you want another great view of this story. But again, that's not the weird part of the afternoon.

Around 3:45, a little girl came to the front door. I assumed she was selling Girl Scout cookies. She bounced up, knocked, and looked back at whoever was bringing her to the door. I answered the door, and a man approached the door with the little girl.

The following conversation is truly what happened. I'm still in shock.

Guy: Hi. Would you like to adopt her? (referring to the little girl)

Me: What?

Guy: You can have her if you want her.

Me: What? What are you saying?

Guy: If you want to adopt her, you can have her.

Me: I'm sorry. (seriously considering passing out) I have two kids. I. .. I. . .

Guy: So, you don't want her? Because, you can have her.

Me: (trying to figure out which gov't agency to call) No. I don't want another child

Guy: Well, I noticed that you've got some shingles missing on your garage roof. Do you want me to fix them?

Me: (very suspicious -- and grateful that Caroline was out of sight) NO! I don't want anything.

Guy: Okay, if you don't want me to do anything, I'll leave. (He and the girl get in the car and leave)

At this point, my mind and hands began racing. . .

1) I made sure the front door was locked
2) I made sure C was still in her room
3) I made sure the garage door was closed
4) I answered the phone (it literally rang at that point)

I talked to my friend, Kelly, who called about DSAG stuff. She told me to call the police. I called Mark first, and then, at his insistance, I called the Sheriff.

Caroline decided that her nap was done. . . and she came out of her room and started to play. I explained to her that there would be a policeman coming to the house. She didn't seem to care--she just played with her Little People and had fun.

Ten minutes later, an officer was at my door, taking notes -- and hurrying off to see if they were still in the neighborhood. She and Caroline had a nice conversation, too.

Just after the officer left, the dispatch from the Sheriff's office called again -- verifying some more information, and thanking me for calling. I had, in the meantime, called Mark and asked him to pick up Edison from school. He agreed, and told me to try and relax.

I did -- until the sheriff's deputy arrived back at the house. She pulled in the driveway and came back to the door. They had decided to make a formal report of my "visit" and she needed some details.

I was grateful to have made enough mental notes to give them some details:

** The little girl was wearing a striped t-shirt, and had brown hair
** The "dad" was wearing jeans, a dark t-shirt, and a red ball cap
** The car was dark -- blue or black
** He had dark hair and a "scruffy" beard

So, as the officer made her way out of the subdivision, she stopped and talked to people out walking to see if they'd seen the suspicious car. No one had seen him.

Here's where the story gets kind of funny (kind of). . . .

After the officer left the second time, I noticed two ladies out walking in the neighborhood. Mark was making his way down the street after getting Edison. When he got into the driveway, I decided that I'd go out and talk to them. I thought they ought to know why -- and I thought I'd alert them to the people, as well. (I didn't know the officer did that) So, as Mark took Caroline down to get the mail (their little ritual) I walked down and met a couple of my neighbors.

One of the ladies was on the phone. I approached them, and realized that the woman on the phone was talking to the police. They explained that the officer had told them about the suspicious car as she was leaving the subdivision. She told them to be on alert. And they were.'s where it gets funny.

I noticed Mark was walking into the house -- with his beard. . .dark clothes. . . blue car. . .and red baseball cap. Oh, and he was carrying Caroline. He had a little girl with him.

My new friend was calling the police because she thought Mark was the guy -- and that he had come back. I assured her, and the dispatch on the other end of the phone, that Mark was the man of this house. And, that the child he was carrying already belonged to me. He had not made me an offer to adopt her....nor had he offered to fix the shingles on the roof.

I was able to laugh with my new friends. Thankfully, they had good sense of humor. Of course, they were concerned that the little girl I was initially offered was the child from Florida that is missing. I checked the internet--it is NOT the same girl.

Our best guess is that these were "travelers" trying to scam money out of unsuspecting citizens. As weird as it seems, I hope and pray that's what happened. Because I cannot get this little girl out of my mind. If, indeed she is part of a group of travelers, she is at least surrounded by some sort of a "community." I loathe the fact that trying to dupe people is a way of life for her. But, she appeared to be happy, and reasonably healthy.

But, God help me, if she was actually the unwitting victim of a horrible father who was willing to simply "give his child away" to anyone interested -- I don't know how my heart would process that.

Regardless of the situation, I know my decision to turn them away was the right thing. God has given me a home and two beautiful children who are my first priority to protect. The fact that Caroline was home forced me to be more vigilant than ever. I didn't take any chances because she was nearby.

and then it hit me. . . .

Our visitors arrived at exactly the time that Caroline would have been getting off the bus from school. I would have had the garage door open to wait for the bus. . . which would have left me and the house vulnerable to strangers.

Could it be that God -- in his infinite, perfect, and holy wisdom -- was protecting me by having me pick up a little girl with a "faux fever" from school a couple hours early? Could it be that HE was involving himself in the minutae of my life -- keeping me from my sewing that I so desperately wanted to do -- to protect me and my precious daughter from danger?

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "Plans to prosper you, not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future." (Jer. 29:11)

It's not just for plaques and t-shirts, my friends. This is the verse that has been Caroline's verse all along. I claim it. I cling to it.

. . .and I know He's taking care of me.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I so hope that child is okay...that is so sad.

I'm glad you all are safe...Major hugs and love...

11:01 AM  
Blogger MamaChef's Ramblings said...

WOW!!!! I am speechless!!! Praying for this little girl...hoping that she has some love in her life!

And should I be concerned when Mark comes around my lil girl???? That's too funny!!!!!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma¬© said...

wow...that is truly a bizarre story. i surely hope it was all some kind of really stupid joke planned by people who no intelligence or common sense!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Shelly W said...

Oh wow, Angie. That is just amazing. My heart is breaking for that little girl, but at the same time rejoicing that God watched over yours. I don't believe in "coincidences" any more--too many of those have happened. I know God was watching over you.

Last fall a man pulled up alongside my daughter's best friend (who is also the daughter of my best friend) and offered her a ride as she was waiting for her mom. We just can't be too careful in this day and age.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, I sort of feel bad for the guy with the beard. Trust me I tried to give away my kids many time and no one wanted them.


3:16 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Yep, He was thinking ahead, just like last week when I couldn't find my key for a half an hour after work when I should have been picking up the kids...that key was down the alley from my office, just sitting there plain as day. Who knows what could have happened if I left work on time that day?

P.S. When answering your door, bring your cordless phone so you're ready to dial 911 in case any more crazies come to the door!

Melly :)

3:34 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I don't think my last comment went though so I'll say again. I am STUNNED that happened. How awful!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Q. and La. said...

That is terrible and I am so glad that you and the lil one are ok!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I always knew Mark was a little shifty...

10:19 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

That's just plain think how far back in the subdivision you live too. I just hope that nothing has happened to that precious little girl. I am certain that God had a hand in all that happened yesterday. Glad "C" is better.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Steve said...


That curse - "May you live in interesting times" - seems to be following you lately.

And yes, God is bigger than our problems, and He loves that little girl, and the man who was with her. And you, and Caroline, and Mark, and Edison.

Doesn't mean everything will always turn out perfectly, but it does mean that you are safe in the way that truly matters.

12:29 AM  
Blogger SmallWorld at Home said...

All I can say is: goosebumps.

9:08 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

man i miss a day of blog checking and all this happens... the world, angie, is depraved... shaking my head... man

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home