This is My "Real" Blog: and so it begins. . . .


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

and so it begins. . . .

The official "splintering" of my family has begun.

This morning, Edison kissed me goodbye -- I usually sleep through his daily departure -- and I told him "You be careful!"

He's off on a 3-day outdoor education "field trip" of sorts with the entire middle school. (It's a small, private school -- so we're only talking about 45 kids, or so) He's very excited. This year, according to him, they don't have to endure the ecological classes. Instead, they get to climb ropes, and do all sorts of other things you wouldn't catch me dead doing. (Is that a proper sentence?)

Caroline's in bed. Tomorrow morning is her Kindergarten physical. I cannot believe that we're staring down the barrel of this one. Honestly, there are days I still feel as exhausted as I was when I was expecting her. . . I'm not going to comment on weight lost or gained here. But, I honestly cannot believe that these five years have come and gone so fast. People warned me. I told them they were nuts.

. . . and I was wrong. Oh well. Certainly not the first time, nor will it be the last. Sigh.

After her physical, we'll head to school. Depending on the time, I may stop in my favorite quilt store that just a few blocks from her school. If I don't have time, I'll be a good girl, and go to work. But, being good is highly overrated, in my book. (heh heh)

A couple hours before all this begins, Mark will depart for New York. He's flying out at 6:10 a.m. So, needless to say, we've already told each other "goodbye." I told him that I'd wake up to kiss him goodbye in the morning. I don't think he believes me.

. . .and although I have all sorts of good intentions, we'll have to see. I guess it depends on how late I stay on here (and Facebook).

He has a 2-hour "sit" in Chicago. Not enough time to see people -- just enough time to have a REAL bagel for breakfast, and then get on another plane. He will arrive in Burlington, VT around noon--and then head over to Champlain, NY, which is where his grandmother lived.

The visitation and funeral services are scheduled for Saturday afternoon. I really regret not being able to attend. But, with two (very) active children, and a job -- getting away for a major trip like this with little or no warning -- is very difficult for me.

I just uploaded pictures to the Walmart there in town -- so that Mark will be able to "show off" some of our recent adventures. We're hoping to take a family trip up there before Edison graduates from high school. . . which is creeping closer and closer, too.

[Gosh -- I'd better stop before I get more depressed]

So, after getting Caroline to school tomorrow -- I'll go to work, and get ready for tomorrow night at home--just the two of us. I've got a band rehearsal tomorrow night at church. (Mom usually keeps the kids for me) So, when that's over, she should be in bed -- and I'll come home to a quiet, empty house. I plan to have the sewing machine stationed in one room (near a TV, of course) and a scrapbooking table at another spot -- near a TV -- and we'll see what kind of stuff I get done. My two productive times are going to be Friday (daytime - while C is in school) and the nights, after she has gone to bed.

I don't have any grand schemes, or expectations of myself -- I just want to spend this time getting some creativity OUT. . .and seeing what I can get done.

Of course, proper rations have been secured ahead of time--which should keep me from having to run to the store. Gummy worms, bagels, and Diet Coke have all been purchased. NO -- I don't have them together, but I do enjoy gummy worms while I'm scrapbooking.

. . . I think I actually bought gummy bears. But, in this context, the specific species of the gummy product is comically irrelevant.

On Friday afternoon, Edison will arrive home and be deposited IMMEDIATELY into the shower. His clothes will be washed -- HOT WATER -- by themselves, and I'll try to make him take a nap. He's supposed to go with the youth group to the Winter Jam concert on Friday night. So again, I'll get some "solitude" while he's enjoying lots of LOUD noise.

On Saturday -- well, I'm not sure. Saturday's pretty open. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous this weekend, so I'm not making any definite plans until we see how nice it is. If it's really nice, I may take the kids to the park -- or just let them play outside. Saturday evening we've invited ourselves over to my mom's house for dinner. Caroline will spend the night with Grandma and Grandpa Saturday night -- because Sunday morning is a work morning for me. She and Mark usually come into church at the proper time. Edison and I go in an hour early. So, letting her casually come in with Grandma makes a lot more sense to all of us.

On Sunday afternoon, we've been invited to have lunch with Mom & Dad, again. And then on Sunday evening (?) we'll celebrate my cousin's birthday. So, I anticipate spending most of Sunday "on the farm" with my parents. (My cousin's family lives next door) As long as Mom and Dad are open to watching the Atlanta Race on Sunday, we're good. (They are)

Then, Sunday night--everyone goes to bed at their normal times, and I'll wrap up whatever creativity I have begun . . . in preparation for Mark's arrival home. His flight is supposed to land around 11:30 p.m. -- which means he'll be home around 12:30. So, I might get a couple hours of scrapping or sewing in on Sunday night.

What are my worries? Well, I should say with God on my side, I have none. But come on. . .you people know me better than that. I've got some areas where I'm concerned.

1) Tomorrow morning -- getting up before Caroline wakes up is crucial if I plan to shower before taking her to the doctor. And oh yes, I do plan on showering before she gets up.

2) Also tomorrow morning -- her physical. I'm not worried about the shots. She does very well, actually. The urine sample they want has me a bit worried -- but I think I've got that covered too. And no, I'm not doing it for her. (Seinfeld reference) The doctor's office gave me a collection cup to take home -- and we're going to try at "capture" a specimen tomorrow morning before going to the doctor.

3) Friday morning -- on Friday, I have to get her on the bus by 6:50 a.m. I'm sure most of you are saying, "What's the problem there?"

Hello -- it's me! (And no, I'm not singing my favorite Todd Rundgren song)

I'm not a morning person. Mark usually handles this part of the day. . . yes, I am spoiled. But, I'm flying solo on Friday -- and it could be interesting. We'll make it -- but I keep reminding myself that I can always go back to bed -- and I don't have to look like a supermodel when walking her to the bus.

4) How did this escape me? It's freaking "Spring Ahead" weekend?!?! I am going to LOSE an hour in the midst of this? Oh, this is so totally not fair!!!

5) Sunday morning -- I usually get up just fine, but I'll be having 2 or 3 people call me to make sure I wake up. Because trust me. . . Child #1 is NO HELP in this arena.

Other than those five things. . . oh, and half of my family flying in airplanes and traveling. . . other than those things, I'm just peachy keen.

I like the way "The Message" translates Psalm 91:

Say this: "God, you're my refuge.
I trust in you and I'm safe!"
That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
shields you from deadly hazards.
His huge outstretched arms protect you—
under them you're perfectly safe;


His huge outstretched arms are protecting me. I'm assuming those same arms will hold me tight -- and help wake me up on Friday morning. I'm just saying. . .He's God. He can do anything!
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Blogger Hilah said...

Ok...so you totally burst my bubble on this weekend being "spring ahead!" YUCK. I'm working Saturday night...so not only is it a late (somewhat) night, but I lose an hour. Don't these people know my schedule? And that class starts Monday? Ridiculous.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

i think springing ahead snuck up on EVERYONE. i'd offer to call and wake you up, but i am just like you and i know better than to promise that kind of reliability. plus, i sound like a frog in the mornings so you'd probably get weirded out anyhow.

i LOVE the message. i'm using it for my daily Bible reading and it's great!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm with on "not" being a morning person...Jim is tho and I can never understand why he's so chipper in the mornings especially when the clock says 5:00 a.m.
I'm up here cheering you on Angie...You can do it!!!
Spring ahead already?...I'm hoping the temps will start to spring ahead sometime soon.

7:54 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

awww angie i hear you, i am prayng for mark and his family and their journey... praying for you because when you get used to a great helpful man doing stuff, you are used to it... and the urine thing???? good luck with that... i think Katherine was 15 before we actually got one when we needed it lol

7:57 AM  
Blogger Sylvie said...

I'm SO glad you mentioned the time change! I'd have ended up at 11:00 service wondering where all my 9:30 friends were! :)

Hope you have a WONDERFUL girls weekend. Enjoy a gummy worm (preferably red) for me!!!

hugs!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

You are absolutely the only person I know who can stick a Todd Rundgren into a panic blog entry, and make me smile in the midst of sympathizing about the burden on your shoulders.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home