This is My "Real" Blog: S & S. . . really?!


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

S & S. . . really?!

Growing up, people redeemed S & S Green stamps for all sorts of fun things. I remember going into a redemption site one time, with my mom. It was near, or actually *in* the Plaza in Park Forest, IL. I remember seeing items that cost WAY more in green stamps than they appeared to actually be worth. But, when the Brady kids wanted to cash in their stamps, they got to choose between a sewing machine and a row boat. Seriously.

That's not the "S & S" that I'm referring to, today. (I know -- you had already figured that out, hadn't you?"

Mine would actually be more appropriately titled: ST & SD.

And yes, I realize that a very scary combination of the two would be STDS. YUCK.

Nope, this acronym stands for:

Strep Throat and Snow Day

Yesterday, while attending a day-long "retreat" with the rest of the Church staff, I got a call from Mark. Mark had taken part of the morning off to accompany Edison to the doctor's office. Edison is going on a class trip next week - to Florida. Edison has been sick. Edison has strep throat. Edison got a shot. Mark went to the dump.

Yeah. . . we're living the high life here once again.

And today - as snow gently falls outside my house - I have two children at home. When we went to bed last night, we anticipated a 2-hour delay for Caroline. But, at 7:47 this morning, the phone rang - there was no one there.

An immediate check on the "crawl" while watching the "Today" show revealed that Caroline's school was cancelled for the day. And, for the first time in a few years, Sevier County has used up all of their snow days. Also, for the record? Some of our worst snows have actually occurred in March.

So. . . . we'll see what happens this summer when the kids are supposed to be out of school.

As always, it will be interesting.

Okay. . . a few updates, and then I've been requested for some Wii bowling. . . .

Homecoming went well last week. There were a few minor hiccups - but overall, it was very well received, and ended on a good note. It was mentioned that I brought 23 musicians with me to participate in homecoming. Of course, we all didn't play all the time -- but in various rotations, I used 23 people. And there were at least five people that weren't involved. I'm pretty blessed.

Science Fair - Edison will compete in a regional Science Fair at the University of Tennessee later this month. We're not sure what the next step(s) might be - but we're glad that he's getting to take it to the next level.

Sight Words - Caroline's teacher sent home flash cards for the basic sight words that the Kindergartners are working on this year. She has almost half of them learned - and some of the trickier ones: where, what, and that - are just about mastered. She loves doing her sight words so much that last night, she didn't want to leave the table until we'd gone through them twice.

Wii Bowling has become a beloved pastime at our house. Caroline has a mean hook - and she's figured out how to adjust her throw to the right enough to get strikes and spares. She's hilarious. Of course, Edison and Mark put spins and curves on their throws - so I never know how the game is going to end - but one of the two of them usually beats me.

And finally. . .

Potty training is going much better. [Side note: NO - I never dreamed that I would blog, much less blog about potty training! Just wanted to make sure you understood that.] I was really concerned that the interruption in schedule (all these crazy snow days) would throw Caroline off her "game" when it came to potty training. But, remarkably it hasn't. She is staying dry nearly 100% of the time -- the only exception is at church. And, we've worked through that, I think. In fact, on Saturday, we took the kids shopping - and I can't begin to say how cool it was to go into four (4) stores -- and finally wind up at a restaurant, and have her say - just before we left that she had to go to the bathroom. No accidents. No pull-ups. No joking.

Well, as I finish this up - someone is at my elbow begging for me to come bowl with her. It's a snow day - -we're both in our jammies - - how can I say no?!

. . . I can't. See you all later!
Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

you got me a grinnin' and a grinnin;... will pray for E but so proud of the little reader.... really proud... busting proud

1:50 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and thanks for the trip down memory lane, i used to collect the green stamps and got great stuff

1:51 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and if you read my new post you will see God sent you to me today, tears welling up now, as much to rejoice over bowling, a chance to pray for you, a chance to remember and be grateful and be delighted that one day Caroline will read my letters to her

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home