This is My "Real" Blog: Cooking Like Martha


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Cooking Like Martha

That's right, my friends. You get me feeling better, and I really get cooking. Let me explain. . . while I was sick last week, I happened upon an episode of Martha Stewart's show on NBC. Personally, I prefer Rachael Ray, but she wasn't cooking--she was talking about permissive parents and co-ed sleepovers.

Not gonna happen in this house, or any that Edison goes to, so that was a pointless hour for me. I switched to Martha.

She had this delightful woman on from the Loveless Cafe over in Nashville. No, we have not been to the Loveless, but after dinner last night, we are going to find it the next time we make it to our state capital.

I guess the Loveless Cafe is world-renowned for its biscuits. The recipe is a secret. They won't even tell Martha--so you know it's a secret! Anyway, they were cooking Braised Pork Chops and hush puppies. Hush puppies, as you can imagine, really don't fit into my new healthy eating routine, so I ignored that recipe. But the pork chops. . .well, that was another story. Click here for the recipe.

They were HEAVENLY.

I nearly burned them. I have a "power burner" on my stove, and it lives up to its name. I started to notice this really wonderful smell coming from the kitchen--turns out the braising liquid was cooking away--and the sugar had completely carmelized. I just threw in about 1/2 cup of water, and it settled right down. Even made a nice glaze for the chops.

Caroline ate a half pork chop - Edison had his and the rest of hers. I ate mine, and Mark's disappeared in a timely fashion, as well. Very tasty. I highly recommend these.

Other things going on in our mad, mad, mad, mad world. . . .? Let's see.

We're all healthy. I am so glad to be over the flu. Caroline went back to Mother's Day Out yesterday - and was greeted by a new teacher. We will certainly miss Ms. Tawyna. But, Ms. Lindsey seems very nice. She had spent some time with Caroline previously, so there wasn't any huge trauma.

Caroline's TIPS worker (Tennessee Infant Parent Services) was here today, doing her latest 6-month evaluation. It appears that Ms. Caroline is testing well into the 32-36 month categories. We are very pleased. We have an IFSP (Individual Family Service Plan) meeting this Thursday. At that meeting, we will talk about the transition into preschool in May, and set the last group of goals for her before she "ages out" of the state early intervention program.

I can't believe it's already time for her to age out. When she was first born, the age of three seemed a lifetime away. Now, suddenly, it's upon us, and we're looking forward to potty training in the very near future.

. . .I figure when they start poking at their diapers and saying "PEEEE" which we have never really defined for her. . . it's time to buy a potty chair.

Edison had to go visit the orthodontist this afternoon. One of his wires pulled out of a bracket. The girl that worked on his teeth told me today that there had already been some improvement, because she was able to maneuver some rubber bands that were impossible last week, due to the turning of some of the teeth. So, our money wasn't spent in vain! He has rejoined the world of solid food. That was an interesting couple of days--new braces, sore teeth, and the flu. I really did feel sorry for him--but my sympathy meter only goes so far to one side or the other. I'm proud of him. He's growing up to be quite a neat young man.

It was a little difficult getting back into the swing of things at work this week, but having a lot to do makes that transition pretty easy. You just jump in, head-first, and attack. I am officially in "Pre-Easter" mode. You can pretty much summarize a Music Director's life in three segments....

Christmas Mode (September - December)
Pre-Easter Mode (January - March/April)
The Rest of the year (May - August)

So, realizing that Easter is still a number of weeks away, I'm not panicked. But, I really do need to figure out what we're going to do, and order the music. I guess I'll get to that tomorrow.

I leave you with a picture. It took me a few days to get him to oblige. But, when he found out that it was going on the web - and that my friends from all over the place would see it, he strangely agreed to pose.

Here's our latest, and to date, greatest investment. . . .



Happy Wednesday, everyone!
Photobucket

2 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

OOOhhhh handsome Edison...this Aussie thinks you look like a big spunk :) A good investment by the oldies ;)

I thought I was the only one to have a "sympathy metre"....nice to know I am in good company.

Cheers my friend and glad to hear you are feeling better - remember next time...Martha and pork chops!

4:47 AM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Wow that was a very fulfilling blog entry - I got one-stop shopping to catch up with everything!

Growing up little lady, handsome young man with some new bling, yummy supper ideas, and a warning that I'm never going to see you in a couple months. (puppy).

Hope y'all have a fantastical day!

Love Melly :)

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home