This is My "Real" Blog: God's Kinda Funny Like That


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

God's Kinda Funny Like That

Today, I guess I'm in a reflective mood. I'm pretty much done with my work for the week. And yet, I'm in the office. I had lots of "overtime" from last week. And yes, I know "overtime" is pretty much non-existent when you work part-time. . . .and are salaried rather than hourly.

....it's called being in the ministry. You do what's gotta get done. Even on Saturday at 3 in the morning. Thankfully, in my area of ministry there is very little call for middle-of-the-night stuff. But I think you get my point.

I'm at work -- because my daughter "kicked me out" of the house this morning. She did. Her babysitter arrived . . .

[May I mention? This is the girl that I would love to one day call my daughter-in-law.]

I'm serious. When I pray about Edison's wife -- even though I know God sees her face and clearly knows who she is -- I picture this girl. I love her. I love her mom and dad. I love that she's Edison's friend - and has no romantic interest thus far. And most importantly, my mommy heart loves that she loves being around Caroline. . . . but enough about that. I really don't want to start crying this morning.

Anyway, this is just the third time in two years that she has babysat Caroline. She's really good with her. And, Caroline obviously loves her. Why do I say obviously?

Caroline told me to leave this morning.

Yep, baby girl blows me a kiss from her room. Takes the sitter's hand, has her sit down to play, and then looks at me and says, "Goodbye." I am invisible.

So, I've been put in my place. But that's not where I intended for this blog post to go.

On my way to work this morning, I stopped at McDonalds. It's right across the street. They're doing their $1 large drink deal. . .and buddy, it's worth sitting through the drive-thru for their Diet Coke (even though I was told earlier this week that it's eating away at my bones). Bones be damned. . . the Diet Coke is good.

The lady at the first window is fairly new. In fact, she still has someone working the window with her. The one to whom I'm referring takes your money. She is older -- probably older than me. Maybe she's putting a kid through school. Or starting over. I don't know what it is. But, she blessed me.

As she handed me my change, she wished me a blessed day. Now, you all need to remember that there are at least three (3) empty McDonalds cups in my garbage can. . . I stop there nearly every morning on the way to work. (especially with that $1 deal)

This woman has a beautiful spirit. And today, I decided to let her know what a blessing she was to me. I thanked her for the way she greets people. When I did, this is what she said:

"It's not me. It's Jesus."

I smiled and said, "Yeah, I can see that. Thanks again!"

. . . and I drove off to get that Diet Coke. So, even though it's eating away at my very bones. . . this Diet Coke next to my left hand brought me a blessing today.

God's kinda funny like that.

Then, there's this past Sunday morning. It was Father's Day, as you may recall. We played a video in church. Here's the link to see it, and some other related videos. It's a nice video -- and there's one particular version that is good for a Father's Day service. However. . . in our first service, that is unfortunately not the one that we showed. Nope. We showed a version that was longer, and less "fatherish" and therefore, I assumed, the WRONG one to show.

. . .until Monday morning. On Monday morning, I received an email from a lady who has been occasionally visiting our church after being away for a long time. Her email asked specifically about the video that was shown in church on Sunday. (I assumed she meant the "correct" one shown in 2nd service)

I was wrong. She attended first service. You know, the one where we showed the wrong video. Only, it wasn't the wrong video. . . for her. She asked for a link to be able to see it again, and share it. I was blown away.

God's kinda funny like that.

So, enjoy today -- and I challenge you to look for situations where God shows himself in ways that are surprising. They can be as simple as a Diet Coke, or as complex as video projection plans gone awry.

He really is kinda funny like that.
Photobucket

11 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

my friend
Becky and I always say..."that God... " when he once again surprises us, and oyeu are almost as pitiful as i am .. (Edison's wife)but then i can picture this girl also by his side and i have met neither of them...

11:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ok...#1...who is is 'future wife'??? I'm sooo curious now!!!!

Coke eats away your bones...now THAT is a new one!

I got one of those random blessings this week watching some of "America's Got Talent" auditions. Mind you I've NEVER watched that show...but there's this PRECIOUS 4 year old girl that made it to the next round...she's not only cute, she is SO sweet...and in the interviews her parents talked about what a blessing she was, and it made me BAWL!!! I swear abbie thought I was crazy, but...oh well!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

God is good, all the time.

And yes, He has some funny ways of working things. But, ya know, sometimes you just have to trust Him.

And re: the McDonald's lady being older than you - well, she could be any age over 29. Because that's how old you are, right?

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sista...

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today was the eight dollar bills that showed up in the laundry. Now I know they came from either my or hubby's pocket, but it was still a pleasant surprise.

Then I went to the store where I worked earlier this year and got a hug from one of my old co-workers. There's something restorative about hugs.

Gestures may be small, but the blessings are very large.

Oh, and I big puffy heart my diet cokes, too!

5:03 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

so i am grilling some fresh corn and burgers to go along with leftover macaroni cheese...and thinking we really ought to get together, with some brittle bones and diet cokes? whatcha think?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Angie you are so funny...kinda like that. LOVE reading your blog...but I am still blown away by you thinking about a DIL! Yikes! You are a forward planning kinda gal! What does Edison think of said girl? heheheh.

Have a super weekend my friend.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi! i stumbled on your blog from pioneer woman :) i enjoyed reading your post! my husband is in the ministry as well...so i'm learning all sorts of things being married to him! great blog!

3:01 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

you are ALMOST FAMOUS, someone found you from Pioneer Woman??? how cool is that?

3:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for entering to win! and for the sweet compliments ;) i recently learned how to knit, and i LOVE it. it is super easy. i even figured out how to do the cable knit! if i can, anyone can. i got started at knittinghelp.com. they have great tutorial videos.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God sent you that blessing.

And aspartame? Is eating away more than your bones, Angie. It raises blood sugar levels (incidentally), and totally excites brain cells (in particular areas of the brain because it crosses the blood brain barrier) until they get tired and exhaust themselves to death (strong correlation to parkinsons, alzheimers and many other neurological diseases which are more prevalent since aspartame has been in our diets). I rarely go around posting stuff like this on other people's blogs so don't get mad at me.

God kinda made me do it. (I'm not kidding) xo

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home